Hard Freeze Coming

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first year to have ANYTHING growing outside, mush less trying to PRODUCE. So, with that in mind I am asking if I should cover my strawberries, cabbage and cauliflower? We have had a couple of light freezes/frosts but tomorrow night is supposed to be a hard freeze and I'm not sure what I should do with my fruits/veggies?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't know, but those 3 words scare me! :ep

I wish you luck. I would be up all night here maintaining small fire pits all around my place.

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, I'll cover them sometime today or tomorrow before the freeze

injunjoe said:
Don't know, but those 3 words scare me! :ep

I wish you luck. I would be up all night here maintaining small fire pits all around my place.

Joe
That will be me next spring when my fruit trees are budding - I lost ALL my plums this year to a late freeze.... :/ and next spring I have peaches and apples to worry about along with the plums :rolleyes:

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BDR - your cauliflower might make it. You cabbage might like it. Your strawberries will dieback but they should come back in the spring. strawberries grow in places way north of you and they always die back in the winter and come back in the spring.

So I might cover the cauliflower/cabbage just to ensure they make it through the frost but for the strawberries I would let nature take its course. I would cover them with a sheet or blanket or maybe tarp.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We've been enjoying nice 'winter' weather up 'til now. What the heck! Now i have to bring in not-quite-ripe tomatoes and limes. And down here, this is our first freeze. We haven't had any light freezes, just chilly nights and cool days. And then wham! SnoW! Crazy!

I'm just thankful that we can have a little really cold weather and panic everyone - and then go back to semi-normalcy. And the kids are probably going to get a snow day on a Friday. It's great to live in the south!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is very nice outside today. A bit nippy but beautiful skies not a cloud can be found. Tonight is our cities big x mas bash and I really want to go but don't want to get caught in the weather which may or may not be comming.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
silly mini frosts here almost embarassing to mention but enough to get me to cover all my lettuce herbs and greens with cold frames ..I am determined to havea garden fresh salad for new years :) even if I have to go and snuggle up with them at night!!!

Latest posts