Hardening Off

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It just seems best to show some attention to the little critters.

You aren't sending them off to the big wide world right off. That comes when they are set out in the open garden. I think of the 1st couple of days as kindergarden.

They race thru life fairly quickly so kindergarden lasts only a few days. Baby, baby, baby the little guys but make them sit quietly and close together. Pay special attention to their water needs as exposure increases requirements. They seem to do just fine in filtered shade for a few hours each day. Then they are on to elementary school and actually becoming accustomed to the elements. Make them come in early, tho'.

The curricula becomes more vigorous during secondary school. Don't allow them to languish on the side lines. Keeping a close eye on them is still important but they are growing up.

DW says, "Let them stay out at night!" Nope, not this Dad. It won't do them a bit of good, tender things that they are sitting around in tiny containers, pretending to live the fast life. I mean, what do they know?

Undergraduate work is the ticket for admission into a Field. It is time for them to prove themselves. However, there's no point in carrying them this far and losing them.

Now, it is time for entering the chosen field. Groundwork with easily available nutrients and water really helps guarantee success. Companionship is important; they need to feel that they aren't alone out there. And, you MAY still need to get an umbrella over them during those first few important days. (I use newspaper gathered in half-teepees and held down with rocks ;).

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right you are, digits!! Starting the seeds indoors really isn't the challenge. Getting them ready for the real world is! The lesson is easily learned with houseplants- a perfect, dark green specimen can be reduced to a bleached skeleton in an afternoon! Congratulations on the graduation!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Undergraduate work is the ticket for admission into a Field. It is time for them to prove themselves.
Or, to join a fraternity and get stinkin' drunk three days a week, and learn how to tip cows.

Although I can't recall the last time my 'maters did THAT, so maybe they are actually smarter than WE are... LOL

Nice analogy,

Pat

Latest posts