Hardy fast growing vines

Lil Chickie Mama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to plant something to grow up my chicken coop but it will have to be fairly hardy and fast growing as chickie poos love to over prune! I guess it wasn't a good idea to always throw them some weeds, but they would have had the instinct anyway. Any suggestions for vines? I have morning glories in another area that grew from seed that are doing crazy well, but I don't think they would stand up to the chickens. TIA for replies.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need to be careful with morning glories- they are poisonous. I posted the other day, that I was pleased that the chickens weren't bothering with my pumpkins. They are covering the fence and climbing high! The leaves are so large, that they really provide cover and look nice. I even have a few pumpkins growing! Of course, anything you plant needs to be on the outside of the fence or the little darlings will definitely eat it!!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted pole beans last year on my run. The ladies ate every leaf they could reach, BUT the leaves on the outside and three feet off of the ground were safe.

It was really fun to watch them jumping for the leaves! And the run looked nice covered with leaves.

Lil Chickie Mama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I planted pole beans last year on my run. The ladies ate every leaf they could reach, BUT the leaves on the outside and three feet off of the ground were safe.

It was really fun to watch them jumping for the leaves! And the run looked nice covered with leaves.
Ooh, I wanted to do beans, but I thought they might not be able to withstand the girls. I have to check any suggestions against my "Poisonous Plants for Poultry" list, but I'm excited. I may have to wait until next year apparently, but the coop will likely be bigger then anyway so I can wait. I just read on another site (horrible I know) that people had success planting everything from flowering perennial vines to beans/peas to cucumbers and squash. I think gourds would weigh down my fence, but the others seem good. One person even said roses, that would be gorgeous! I'm so excited!!! Once the plants get going, and growing up I'm going to remove the top (it's just shade cloth) and run lines across the top to create a living ceiling. I don't even like beans, it would just be for the girls. They are so spoiled! I love it! Keep suggestions coming though.

Lesa, don't worry, my morning glories are far away from the girls, but thanks for the warning!! **Note to self, don't spread morning glory seeds by chickens**

Lil Chickie Mama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, poo on a stick! Well, back to the drawing board. I do have that list bookmarked, I LOVE BYC! Thank you though (you never know who's read what). As I said, before I make a choice I'll look it up to be sure it's okay. Too bad strawberries don't grow on crawling vines, my babies love strawberries.

mrsengeseth

Leafing Out
Reaction score
what about grapes? OR some sort of gourd, nest egg gourds would be really appropraite, dont'cha think? Nasturtuims are hardy, fast growing and edible...maybe not a vine, but it's kind of a good spreading plant...

mythkat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Did you want annual or perennial? I put a trumpet vine inside my run but I caged it until it was tall enough and woody so they couldn't destroy it. They really seen to like the fallen blossoms.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You could attach a 3 ft hardware cloth at the bottom of the run so they can't get at whatever you plant. That way it will have a chance to grow.

Lil Chickie Mama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would prefer a perennial because I'm lazy :p and don't want to have to replant every year, but I was trying look at the positives of having an annual especially an annual edible. But yes, a perennial would be best because it would continue to grow and it would fill in the "ceiling" nicely. If it were an annual, then the ceiling would die back and it wouldn't be worth it to try because until it was established each season and after it died back I'd have to figure out a different way to keep the girls in and the sun filtered out. By having a perennial living ceiling, once it took off, I could remove the other temporary ceiling and let the vine grow and fill in. I dunno maybe it's a vine-dream but I think it could work...maybe.... :watering

I still try annual edible vines though on the inside of the coop (caging to start) on my separators. Think of 2 dog kennels set next to each other sharing a wall and that wall has a door so I can easily go from one to the other but shut to keep chickens separate. That way I don't care if they make it to the ceiling and/or die back or are eaten back each year. That wall would pretty much be a snack wall :gig (oh I humor myself at least) where as the outside and ceiling would be for shade and beauty.

Latest posts