Harvested the honey!!! Youtube link in last post

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We added a hive this year- so we have two, now. We pulled about 12 frames out- and got around 35 pounds of honey. Nature always amazes me, but I am in absolute awe of these creatures!! Dh invented a homemade honey extractor- which worked beautifully! I am getting ready to make mead (need to order some champagne yeast). There is a lot more honey we could harvest- but we will be hard pressed to use this up, so we are leaving it for their winter supply. When spring comes, we will take out any excess.
If you possibly can do it- I highly recommend having bees. They are such a perfect partner with the garden....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good harvest Lesa! Any chance of seeing a pic of that extractor, or is it top secret?

I was trying to picture you in a Viking helmet with a flagon of mead instead of your cute hat and a chicken.... ;)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's sounds great lesa!

I bet its a lot of fun getting your own honey from the hives, I've always wanted to do that. Do you think its simple maintaining a hive to get honey?
I'm sure with all the bees you have your garden produces like crazy. Mead is like a honey wine, never tried it but would love to try.

Enjoy all the honey!! ;)

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have bee hive envy! I do want one, but I'm afraid to go it alone. I have two books that I've read, but would really like to have someone with experience help me along. Enjoy that honey!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lesa, thats so exciting! Congrats on such a successful honey harvest. I used to buy Barenjager (sp?) for my husband at the liquor store, do you know if your honey mead comes out tasting like that honey mead? That stuff is ohmygosh DELICIOUS. Especially in hot tea for a hot toddy.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We took a "movie" of the extractor in action. Not sure how to post a link (but Dh will do it, in a day or two...) I would not say having bees is easy- but really, they do all the work. If you are interested, the best thing is to find your local bee club. Everything is so much simpler when you can ask the "experts". Our club ran a beginner course, which touched on all the basics. The mead should indeed be - honey mead. The bad part is, you can't even taste it for 6 months!! I am not a patient person!!! But, I will let you know how it goes!
I can really notice a difference in the garden with the bees right out there. It is so interesting to see what attracts them, and when. I have a plumb poppy which is totally ignored by the bees for the whole summer- and then like magic, it is covered with hundreds of bees. They know what they like, and when they like it! Utterly amazing!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Lesa, that sounds like so much fun. I wish I could have a bee hive. But I did follow your advise and planted borage and I had bees in the garden! Definitely made a difference in my golden zuchinni.

Wished I lived close to you so I could get a jar of honey! ;)

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't had a bee hive since I was a kid and didn't do too well with it because I didn't know what I was doing and didn't have anyone to teach me. If I ever get back out of the city bees will be one of my first projects.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Congratulations Lesa! We have been rolling the thoughts of honey bees around for a couple of years. There is actually a local bee class that starts tonight. But we are too late to enroll. We will keep our eyes open througout the winter, spring to see if any others are offered. Can't wait to see your hubbys extractor in action. You get so much more enjoyment out of something that you create yourself. Nice job to both of you; and the bees of course! :D

Latest posts