Harvesting all year round

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just watched a Garden Smart program about Eliot Coleman's 3 season farm in Maine.
http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/
I was amazed at the operation, growing cool season crops begun in the Fall, and harvested mid winter. I love their chicken tractor greenhouse, that they move every week, so that their birds can dig up bugs and break down and manure the soil AND keep warm.
It makes me REALLY want to spend the time making a cold frame. That's how he said that he began. :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have their book, Four Seasons Garden. Some great ideas in there. I would love to have a greenhouse to play (I mean grow food) in. Last fall I put up a low tunnel and was able to keep greens alive, if not actually growing much, through the winter. I used agribon then a layer of clear plastic film over it.
For me it was all about being able to get fresh organic greens in the winter. Now that Bigmart is carrying reasonably priced organic greens, there is less motivation for me to do that again. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. :\

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was impressed with Elliot Coleman's idea of
... growing cool season crops begun in the Fall, and harvested mid winter. ..

I wonder if that is almost 100% of what they are up to since their summer farm stand is no longer in operation. And, if his greenhouses are still on tracks so that they can be moved over those growing beds in the fall.

@so lucky, you just need a bigger tunnel to grow and play in :). Or, @Collector had those really BIG cold frames!

Steve