Harvesting Chicken Manure

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have about 30 chickens who have lived in a coop in my backyard for many years. They have enjoyed strutting around their coop and have been pooping away in their outdoor space--by now I expect the ground has to be a chicken thick in poop, but it always just looks like dirt. >_>

I'm wondering if I want to use their manure for the garden, what would be the best way to do it. Scrape all the dirt on the top layer, sift for rocks, and mix it in compost?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The way I do that is spread it on the garden in the fall and till it in. By planting time it has broken down enough that you can plant. I can tell a difference in tilth and fertility.

I'd try to remove any rocks I could, I hate hitting those with my fingers. That poop has probably been breaking down all along but leaving it in the garden over winter will make sure it is all broken down. I don't know if you use any bedding in there, leaving any bedding in contact with the ground should break it down enough too. I don't think where you are the ground is going to stay frozen all winter, not like some people. I'm not sure when you plant but you should still have time to get it tilled in.