Harvesting onions

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My onions have bent over, about a week ago, so I pulled them this morning, washed off the roots, and they're laying out on the lawn drying off a bit before I actually dry them for storage. I grew Copra storing onions, got them from Johnny's. I have to say, they're strong growers and there's nothing to fuss over with them! I'll take a photo later and post it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes, please take photos for me... I am planning lots of onions and garlic to go in this fall. I want to know what to expect next year when its time to harvest and how I go about it. Thanks!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, I cheated and bought teeny-tiny little plants from Johnny's for I think $11/100. Damned if they all didn't grow, too! :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well if you don't need 100 onions, I know someone who could use some for her tomato sauces. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, you grew Walla Walla Sweets this year, isn't that right? How did the do for you there in North Carolina?

I find these a rather curious onion. If I remember right, they are from Corsica. Now Corsica is no where near as far north as Walla Walla (just a little south of where I grow them).

If there are long-day and short-day and "intermediate" day . . . how do Walla Walla's do in lower latitudes?

I hope that isn't a hijack of the thread, Reinbeau . . .

Steve

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Congrats, Ann! This was my first year growing onions and I went a little wild too. I bought 2 bags of sets from Walmart and although they said each held about 60 sets, I got 93 in one bag and 88 in the other. I've got bags and buckets of onions in the cellar now, many bags and bucket, haha. We've used a ton and I've given dozens away but I still have a lot. I hate onions too, but they're fun to grow. It was a fun experience.