Harvesting Zukes

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's another silly question from a complete veggie garden beginner. How do you harvest zucchini? Do you cut it off the vine or pull it or twist it??? The stem seems a little thick to just pluck it off. If you cut it, where do you make the cut? Do you cut at the base of the stem or do you cut the whole stem off? Or doesn't it matter? :p

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think you can twist it, but I don't remember. My dad and I usually cut it with a small knife, leaving just about a 1/2 inch of stem attached.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've always twisted them off, but for some reason I've been cutting them this year. I just cut them where I can reach em,lol.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cutting will help reduce the risk of shock which can leave the plant open to disease.

Try to cut most of the stem off without injuring the main plant.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
IMO always cut. Saves you from breaking a stem or anything on the plant. The fresh cut seems to last a little longer than then a riped free veg.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually cut in the middle of the stem, but if I find one that I missed during picking, I just twist. On a large older plant or a big missed zucchini though, twisting does risk you twisting off the plant itself.

Latest posts