Has anybody purchased Paeonia 'Bartzella' yet? *pic*

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is newish and very expensive IMO.
BUT a beautiful yellow peony.

4973_yellow_peony.jpg

anybody have any input on this plant? I'd appreciate it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ha, my input is that if I wanted a yellow peony the Itohs probably *are* better than the few herbaceous yellows, BUT I would rather build a new run for the coop, at those sorts of prices :cool:

I've seen a yellow Itoh which I'd say was quite likely Bartzella, it was rather uh showy but seemed sturdy enough and not unattractive and of course there are lots of people out there who like big-flowered yellow things a lot more than I do <g>

So I'd say if you can afford it and like big-flowered yellow things, go for it! I have heard advice that it is best to pay more for a larger-sized better-condition division, as the small ones still go for enough that it'd be very annoying to lose it or have it just sulk for the next five years.

Have fun,

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Pat, I know what you mean about the sulking thing but I like to go for some plants that aren't in everybodies yard yet. And I was thinking that if it preforms anywhere near as well as reported in online forums, or as well as my shrub peonies that have been growing in the same spot for 80+ documented years-the $40 (plus shipping-ouch!)might be worth it.

ok sounds like I already made up my mind huh? Was hoping someone had one planted already.

I read it has parents of both shrub peony and tree peony. In 1999 one sold for more than $900-can't remember exact amount. wow!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hehehe Pat-after re reading I realize you weren't refering to ME sulking...hehehe

:D

Latest posts