has anyone ever rooted powder puff bushes?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i tried to root three of these a few weeks ago and i didnt get any to take i dont think. anyone have tips on rooting them?

(not my pictures--just an example of the plant:)
powder_puff_shrub07.jpg

also, we need a section devoted to propagation.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hmm. maybe if i put an aquarium over it for the winter. it gets killed back here in the winter. (the one i'm trying to propagate is my moms which is in the ground)

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can't help ya w/ the rooting thang...:idunno

Just wanted to say that I've seen those down south before and they are cool plants! I wish those were hardy up here.

Do hummingbirds like em?

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It IS a cool plant! It's just too bad it's called a 'powder puff.' We should rename it something cool, like 'alien coral' or 'Spike!'

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
Can't help ya w/ the rooting thang...:idunno

Just wanted to say that I've seen those down south before and they are cool plants! I wish those were hardy up here.

Do hummingbirds like em?
ive never really seen any hummingbirds around it b/c of the fact that it gets killed back every year it never really blooms until really late in the year for me and the hummingbirds are all gone by now. i know that they would love it if it the blooms would coincide with their visits. they love mimosas, but who doesnt like a good mixed drink once in a while?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is really neat! It looks Australian. It almost looks like the Love-Child of a Bottlebrush plant and a Mimosa.

How come you do not propagate via seed. I would think that this one is quite attracting for insects and birds and would form seedpods very readily. If not then you probably need more than one of them, or you are missing a pollinator...break out a cosmetic brush and dash from flower to flower acting like a bee!

I like it, I want to say Legume, but the leaf-pattern is confusing..it is like a Schef, but then it ain't.

Have you looked on the internet?

Ron

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Propagation is by seed which should be left soaking in warm water for several days and then planted either directly into the ground or into individual pots for later transplanting. Occasionally you may find volunteer seedlings growing around a mature plant which can be easily potted up or moved to another location. You need to get these when quite small because they have a long taproot and transplanting will not be successful unless you get the whole thing.
others sources say you can root them too.

if at first you dont succeed try, try again.

(now if only it would have seeds...)

Latest posts