Has anyone made a ristra? Chain of dried peppers?

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Has anyone made a ristra? I looked on the web for instructions and can do the first easy step of tying three peppers together, but I don't understand the second part about braiding the stems of the peppers into the wire or twine. Either they have longer pepper stems than mine, or I am misinterpreting the instructions. Any hints would be great. Thanks

Kay

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do that to dry them, but I can't say it's very decorative. All I do is take a needle & thread and poke it through the stems to string up the peppers. It does the job, but like I said, I'm not doing it for decoration. :happy_flower

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do the same thing that Kate does for the same reason.

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I guess I'll go the needle and thread route and forget about the complicated braiding the stems routine. Thanks

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think that only works for soft-neck garlic and onions. And when I tried it with onions, the stems all broke. I went the needle & thread route in the end, too. If you wanted it to be decorative, you could probably do something clever with macrame.

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
I think that only works for soft-neck garlic and onions. And when I tried it with onions, the stems all broke. I went the needle & thread route in the end, too. If you wanted it to be decorative, you could probably do something clever with macrame.
I went here for ristra directions:
www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/3920/ristrapage.html

but didn't understand the second part about braiding the 3 stems into the hanging wire.

I'm sure someone could do something clever with macrame, but it wouldn't be me. I'll just use the needle and thread thing and pat myself on the back for getting that far. Thanks for your input.

Kay