Has anyone used zoysia lawn?

geoaware

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi...we are avid readers of Mother Earth News...and have always been captured by the adverts for this zoysia lawn. Has anyone ever tried it? How fast does it grow? (we are on the plains in Colorado)

Gary

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Overall zoysia is very slow to establish, although once established will form a nice thick lawn. If you have the time to wait then great. It is drought tolerant and some varieties are very cold hardy as well. Once established it does grow quickly and requires more frequent mowing, especially after heavy rains. There are varieties that are grown from seed but do take longer to establish.

I'd recommend a Bermuda or St. Augustine instead.

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Zoysia is what covers my parents' lawn, and all I know is that the stuff is GLORIOUS. Thick, lush, rich, absolutely amazing. My dad always mowed it twice a week during the summer, and kept it looking absolutely perfect. It's in full sun, and we're located in Arkansas. If I could afford it, I'd sod my whole place with it. Here's a pic of my daughter sitting in it as a baby:

102048200_dec42edd71_o.jpg

offshorewife

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have been researching this grass as well. What I have read is that it is drought resistant, easy to grow, & that it was suppose to grow out more than up meaning less mowing. I found that information here http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/ of course they are selling the product. We have a rather large yard (2 acres) and I would love to find something that truly grows out more than up because I do not care to mow at all. I'd rather pull weeds from the garden than mow.

Depending on your location I think the fact that is is drought resistant can out weight St Augustine. It takes a lot of watering to keep it lush and pretty in the Southern heat.

I would love to learn more about Zoysia from those that actually have this in their yard.
Warmly,

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just thought maybe I should check my facts, and I found at least one web site that said that zoysia will turn brown at the first sign of a frost. Also doesn't like shade very much. Ninjapoodles has full sun in Arkansas. Sounds like ideal conditions for zoysia.

PennyinOk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My parents have a Zoysia yard and it is the best! Their yard was mainly shale and weeds before They discovered Zoysia it is drought resistant and loves the sunshine!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Zoysia supposedly does well in the southern states, but up around here it's brown until June and then browns back at the first hint of frost.

geoaware

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Since my first post I decided to buy some 'plugs' Its been in now for over two weeks...and just look like dead plugs of grass. I know that you can't judge something so fast...but so far I am disapponted. I would hve expected some green at least....

Latest posts