Hate grub worms!!!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Early spring I worked hard to tilled the dirt over, I pulled out so many and fed the chickens ! I bought some granuals that will kill them right in the garden. the other day, I went to loosen up the soil and found more. Grrrr!
8871_100_3218.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh wow, that is a pretty heavy population you've got there! Are they the big ones or little? The big ones turn into big green June-beetles and they can really do a lot of damage to your fruit trees. I am not sure why, because we have never done anything to our front yard other than mow it, but the past two years we have had a period of a couple of days where 100s of the june-beetles hatch out and swarm all over the yard. Not any in the back yard, just the front! Nothing special or different other than I think the previous owners did "weed and feed" the front, but that was over 6 years ago. After they came back last year, we decided to sprinkle the granules to kill them. I hated to do it, but that was just way too many june-beetles for me! Ugh. I think the smaller ones turn into either may-beetles (little brown ones) or japanese beetles. Do you have a lot of mole damage too? Moles love to eat those little suckers. My chickens do too, but they are too lazy to dig them for themselves, but I always feed them to them if I find any while I'm digging. A good source of protein at least! :p

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
These are the brown type bettles. they are about inch long. They will come out and fly around 4th of july. very pesty bugs!

CLAPgardens

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you MajorCatfish, I read the advice on Milky Spores and read more bout them. We put some down a few days ago. I also read if you get rid of the food for vermin they will leave too. I planed a peach tree, just a small thing, So I don't need the grubs, Japanese beatles or the voile. Thanks CLAP

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Plant some 4 o'clocks, they can't resist they love them and they are deadly poison killing them w/I minutes of eating them. (in the beetle stage )

Also geraniums paralyze them for hours, giving preditors time to eat them

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
CLAPgardens said:
Thank you MajorCatfish, I read the advice on Milky Spores and read more bout them. We put some down a few days ago. I also read if you get rid of the food for vermin they will leave too. I planed a peach tree, just a small thing, So I don't need the grubs, Japanese beatles or the voile. Thanks CLAP
:welcome Welcome to TEG and hope you stay awhile! This is a friendly place with lots of nice folks!

Latest posts