Hateful thing

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
grows all over the place - under my side deck, up thru the cracks in my patio, in the driveway, in the yarrd. I think the thing will grow into a small shrub or tree! I've dug up the roots and it just keeps coming back.

HPIM1965.jpg

HPIM1966.jpg

HPIM1967.jpg

HPIM1969.jpg

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That 2nd to last picture reminds me of cottonwood sprouts that regrow whenever you cut the tree down...did you used to have a tree in the general vicinity? I'm going to try a roundup method I read about here, putting a dilute solution of roundup in a small container and putting the horrible bindweed roots into it to soak up as much as possible and eventually kill the whole plant, maybe that would work for your weed?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with NW, looks like a tree. Cherry trees are bad for suckering, even 20 or 30 feet from the mother tree, just to use an example.

The leaves do resemble cherry trees to me though, in the third pic.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have flowering plum that sends off shoots that look just like that. Wish I never got the thing..........shoots all over the place.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
That 2nd to last picture reminds me of cottonwood sprouts that regrow whenever you cut the tree down...did you used to have a tree in the general vicinity? I'm going to try a roundup method I read about here, putting a dilute solution of roundup in a small container and putting the horrible bindweed roots into it to soak up as much as possible and eventually kill the whole plant, maybe that would work for your weed?
I tried round up but that doesn't work. I have to dig out the entire root and if you don't get it all it will come back. These thing are all over my neighbors yard too. I think I'm going to send the picture to the LSU Ag Center and see what they can tell me about it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks quite a lot like chokecherry to me.

If so (or anything of that type) the only way to get rid of it that I know of is to pull the suckers up all the way back to where they break off. DO NOT cut them, it just makes the problem worse; DO NOT snap off just the aboveground stem/foliage, as it just makes a nasty woody little stub that keeps sending up shoots.

IME if it is coming from a nearby (like, within 20') tree/shrub then you will be battling it forever and ever and ever; if it is coming from something that was cut down, perhaps years ago, it IS possible to defeat it if you are very assiduous and never let any of the sprouts get beyond a couple of leaves... but it can take a couple years til it dies out, unfortunately (ask me how I know :p)

Or try Roundup if you wish.

Good luck, "have fun" :p,

Pat

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll have to take a picture and compare -- I think I have the same thing in my pasture. When the ground is wet (ha!) you can pull up the root which is close to the surface and runs all over.

It's not dogwood, dogwood has opposite leaves and those are alternate.

-Wendy

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It looks quite a lot like chokecherry to me.

If so (or anything of that type) the only way to get rid of it that I know of is to pull the suckers up all the way back to where they break off. DO NOT cut them, it just makes the problem worse; DO NOT snap off just the aboveground stem/foliage, as it just makes a nasty woody little stub that keeps sending up shoots.

IME if it is coming from a nearby (like, within 20') tree/shrub then you will be battling it forever and ever and ever; if it is coming from something that was cut down, perhaps years ago, it IS possible to defeat it if you are very assiduous and never let any of the sprouts get beyond a couple of leaves... but it can take a couple years til it dies out, unfortunately (ask me how I know :p)

Or try Roundup if you wish.

Good luck, "have fun" :p,

Pat
Pat, you are right on about that! When I cut them or snap them off they come back with a vengence! My property was cleared 11 years ago - lots of trees and brush on it. I'll have to remove the pavers on my patio and dig them up - again. :barnie