Hattie Got Me Hooked!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How hard is masonary work I must ask?! I saw something I want to do now... and I'm quite eager to place blame on Hattie. Then again, she did post the site I saw it on. :bee

In the last few weeks I've had massive ideas for the yard... a few new beds to create privacy and more trees by the orchard... definitely thinking about creating a simple shower at the end of the deck (Thanks Wifezilla!!! :smack ). Hubby is still siding the house, and then he wants to build a dock on the pond... he also wants to help me with the patio with the firepit I have planned....

:hu :hu :hu Are you seeing where this is going yet?! :hu :hu :hu

Well, I saw this... :drool
http://www.cottagegarden.org.uk/pondgarden3.htm

:plbb and thanks to Hattie (I'm slinging blame like mud pies!) I want to build this at the entrance to the woods next to our pond!!! I am sure I can find the brick to do it (You saw my brick path, that was free other then $50 for pea gravel).

So who has faith I can do it?! :pop

And who is going to be kind to me and my back and talk me out of it!?!? :lol:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NOT ME! :frow

I say GO FOR IT! I think it will go very well with your house & it will look great with climbing & rambling roses growing up it :celebrate

Just take it a step at a time & your back will be OK -- DON'T :weee at it. I have faith in your abilities vfem. Just read up VERY CAREFULLY about forming arches as they are a bit tricky -- we don't want that tumbling down on you.........!!

GOOD LUCK for all your projects. :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hmmm. I can be pretty ambitious with the masonry work, but getting that arch looks hard. Why don't you just create a couple of pillars and then train roses or something over the top to create an arch?

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
As long as you do some research and THEN do the project. At my house, masonry is banned (unless I am doing it, of course). DH tried to build a brick pizza oven once, and it was the joke of all our friends. I finally had to threaten to plow it over with HIS car before he took it down. It was ridiculous. I wish now that I had taken some pictures of it to remember it by, but at the time I just wanted it gone (it wasn't functional, in case you're wondering, and it was UUUUUGLYYY!).
A project as big as that wall is daunting, but I think it can be done with proper preparation (making sure you have enough bricks and mortar, have a plan for how you want to lay them out, make sure the ground is level, etc. I know you probably know this already, judging from your marvelous path - but I want to mention it becase DH just kind of went for it without a plan, so he was doomed from the start. I'd say try the arch, but know that it's probably going to be the hardest part of the project and you might have to be inventive and do something else if you can't "get" it.

Good luck! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good Idea aqua....

I showed the pic to hubby last night, and he freaked... but then suggest instead of the arch to put in 2 6x6 post and great an arbor from one brick wall to the other instead.

I like that Idea very much!!!

He did let me know he had a stone cutting saw (he used to cut and design granite counters and table tops) so the brick cutting part should be easy. Again... another project for another day.

I'm drawing it out with my markets and into my sketchbook of yard lay outs.

:rolleyes:

GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
A project as big as that wall is daunting, but I think it can be done with proper preparation (making sure you have enough bricks and mortar, have a plan for how you want to lay them out, make sure the ground is level, etc. I know you probably know this already, judging from your marvelous path - but I want to mention it becase DH just kind of went for it without a plan, so he was doomed from the start.

Good luck! :D
I can just image you ramming your car into a brick wall!!! Not that it would be funny... but it is funny now from the image you painted for me.

Don't worry... I never run into anything without a plan. I draw things up 100x and I shop around for supplies until I can find them FREE or super cheap (or tradeable) so it will be awhile until I can get to a project like this. I can't stand things less then perfect, or as close to my envisioned plan as one can get!!!!

(My husband would kill me if he didn't like making things so much!!!!!!)

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Don't worry... I never run into anything without a plan. I draw things up 100x and I shop around for supplies until I can find them FREE or super cheap (or tradeable) so it will be awhile until I can get to a project like this. I can't stand things less then perfect, or as close to my envisioned plan as one can get!!!!

(My husband would kill me if he didn't like making things so much!!!!!!)
Ah, we have that in common. I sketch things out, take months of surfing craigslist and dumpster diving, and research the heck out of something before I actually make it.
Then I have to time the project with my husband's trips out of town. I do this for two reasons.
(1) He is not the visionary I am when it comes to projects. I usually have to nag forever until he gives in. It just takes a lot of time to convince him of a good project. He always like them in the end though.
(2) He gets in the way or rushes me when he is around, so it's much easier when he's away. I've built a whole patio and recently our rain barrel while he was at work. It's just much easier that way. :gig

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My husband usually gives in to my crazy ideas as long as 1. it doesn't cost too much and 2. he doesn't have to help. I end up doing almost everything myself, like masonry, carpentry, gardening, etc. He usually gives in and helps me with really heavy stuff.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's awesome Hattie! Complicated looking... but AWESOME!!!! THANX :th

:D

I have so many ideas I'm killing my husband with drawing after drawing of our yard.... then I just add and add and add.... I'm waiting for his head to explode.

We have plenty of years coming in this house, and plenty of time to mess with the yard. I just feel back because next year my husband is expanding a wall in our bedroom to steal some of the attic space for us. Then we're getting new floors.... yet all I want to do is work in the yard :)

Must learn patience....

:idunno

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll find something vfem, you should pick the idea that you like the best and comfortable with. It takes time, but i'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

Working in the yard sounds good, i'm sure that your best passion ;)