Have I gone nuts?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was reading about dwarf apple trees right before bed last night. So of course I had a dream about them. In my dream I had a acre of about 400 dwarf apples. Then I had asparagus in between the rows. I didn't have to mow it because I had sheep and geese in it. The only work I had to do was harvest,prune and sheer the sheep.
In the dream we sold: grass fed lamb & waterfowl,breeding stock, wool and finished products,apples, asparagus, grafted trees and scions. So it was the most profitable acre of land ever. So much that we started another acre with plums and a different sheep breed.

So of course I want to know if it's possable now.

What's your vote: nuts or go for it?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ninny, usually a related dream is one of our most boring moments on earth . . .

The person telling us doesn't realize this because their eyes have gone completely out of focus, as he or she remembers the dream. If you make the mistake of yawning, or something, you'll get the most startled reaction. Usually, it is something like, "No, no it was just really different! I mean, it was a pitted prune!!"

You have taken it several steps further and your asparagus, plum and apple trees just might be a realistic route to take, yeah. Of course, you'd have to do some research on head/acre for the sheep.

Steve :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, everything I've read on dwarf trees is not very good. They always end with "go with semi-dwarfs if you can".

Mary

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I need to check out sheep per acre and dwarf vs semi dwarf trees. I also have to find classes on grafting and anything to do with an orchard. It's probably a good thing I do not have the land yet. We have one dwarf apple and I love it. It's just the right size for me to take care of it by myself. I will be doing a lot of reading this winter. Can anyone suggest some good books? I am going to talk to a apple u-pick near us and see if I can take classes on how to care for trees with them. They would not be in competition with me. Going to talk with my pastor who raises sheep too. Hmm, maybe I can be a lazy farmer. :D Gonna to look into berries as well.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mary, I was just going to say go for it!

Like you said, you'd probably be happier with semi-dwarf as they get bigger, but can be pruned down to dwarf size and still produce more then a dwarf. I have 4 semi-dwarf myself. I have to be patient though... I'm in year 4 and they only have a few apples each, so maybe in a few more years I can tell you how we do.

As for sheep, I know nothing... but I also once knew nothing about chickens or ducks. Now I have a ton of them and work for a chicken company because of all the knowledge I took on from tackling that dream.

So please.... do some research, don't get over whelmed and then dive into whatever you dream in possible.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's a weird thing, I have a neighbor with a sheep... I don't know who, and I don't know where... but I keep hearing "Baaaaaaaaaaaah" when I walk down the road. Sounds like a baby! I giggle, and my husband just looks at me and says "NO!"

:lol:

Latest posts