Have you ever brought your hard earned work to the county fair?

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year was my first year bringing anything to the county fair. Our fair is pretty small, but boy do people bring a lot of stuff to show. Since there aren't very many people, the age divisions are quite broad. I was in the 18-65 year age division :p I brought basil, thyme, parsley, hot banana peppers, tomato juice, pickled peppers, dilly beans, pickles, canned apples, sauerkraut, and candybar brownies. I didn't bring as much as I could've because this was my first year and I didn't want to overdo it. Little did I know that people enter dozens upon dozens of things to the fair because it is easy money!!! I got blue ribbons on- all fresh produce, pickles, sauerkraut, candybar brownies, and pickled peppers. I got red ribbons on- canned apples and dilly beans. And then I got a white ribbon on my tomato juice because I had too much space from the top of the juice to the lid :rolleyes: It was free to enter but with all the ribbons I received, I ended up leaving with a $23.75 check! :ep I went to the local hardware store and bought about 5 cases of jars that were on sale with my winnings. It was totally worth it! Not only for the money, but the simple fact that I got recognition for all my hard work. I made a lot of new friends (some 30-50 years my senior) and had an excellent time hanging out at the fair talking about gardening, chickens, and everything in between. I learned a lot of new canning techniques and what to do differently so I could place higher next year. If you have never done it- I HIGHLY recommend you do! The feeling of community, recognition, and new friendships is unbelievable. It's very humbling and such an awesome experience. Just thought I should share and give some of you excellent gardeners food for thought! I really hope I can convince some of you to try it next year. :coolsun

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congradulations! HotPepperQueen. Vfem has entered her jams and has also won. I didn't know they paid you if you win. Always learning something new from my teg gardening friends. :)

Mary

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome! That's really neat!

I've never done it but have thought about it. It costs money for us to enter at our fair (Evergreen State Fair) but do think there is a chance to win something back. The fair is pretty big and semi-commercialized though. Think last time I heard over 750k people visit over the 10 days it is running.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Mary, I sure do enter what I can. I also do baking contests. I won $35 last year for my entries! Whoohooo

The NC State is very competitive w/ the competitions, so its not easy to place!

5842_8biscottiqueen.jpg

Latest posts