Have you ever used a heat mat?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The heat mats are particularly useful for real heat loving seeds, like peppers. For this reason, I buy my pepper plants already started. I have grown all the usual assortment of garden veggies without the use of a heat mat. If I wasn't so cheap, I would buy the mat and grow my own peppers from seed!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I only do my peppers and tomatoes on heat pads. I've had great luck, but trying it on other plants had done more damage then good.

I also found once they've sprouted, I remove the mats and they do fine after that. They really only need it to germinate the seed. :p

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree with vfem - don't leave them on the pad after they've sprouted. I use it on pretty much all my summer veggies, and I've been very happy with how quick things germinate with heat.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've used them in the past and they work well. i've had these 2 interesting seed starter trays in a sort of a styrofoam holder that use the warmth of a 15w long fish tank bulb underneath the tray. always worked well. i guess you could use on of those foam coolers and a small wattage bulb and put the tray over the cooler to get the bottom heat.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used a heat mat in 2009 for the first time. I was successful in germinating some heirloom tomatoes, but wasn't very successful when I planted them in the garden. This year I'm trying again with the heat mat and the help of my greenhouse.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are more cost effective heat matts out there. Burpee is expensive for what you get. There are some cheap ones on e-bay. I have one that costs about 85.00 now, it is much larger than that burpee one-can fit 3 12X18 trays. I've had mine for a good dozen years. The cheap ones are OK but do not know how long it will last.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You seem to be much more experienced than I! Can you give me a few links from amazon that would be better than the one from burpee? I can get free shipping on amazon.

catjac1975 said:
There are more cost effective heat matts out there. Burpee is expensive for what you get. There are some cheap ones on e-bay. I have one that costs about 85.00 now, it is much larger than that burpee one-can fit 3 12X18 trays. I've had mine for a good dozen years. The cheap ones are OK but do not know how long it will last.