Have you hugged your _____ today?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our mechanic came in to clock out and asked me to please make sure that the manager knew he left to go pick up his wife whose car has broken down on the side of the highway. Then he started to rant and rave about how he was busy and when she called he told her to call a wrecker. But nooooo, he said, She has to go and start crying! I told her thats what we pay insurance for but she wants ME to come get her. I told him to go get his wife and stop worrying about whether or not the oil gets changed in the dozer today or tomorrow! The work will wait. He didnt even hear me and kept right on about how this was messing up his whole day. This sort of thing just breaks my heart. What I wouldnt give to HAVE someone I could call to come rescue me on the side of the road. Or to have someone who would need me to help them with something.

One of my drivers came in today in a foul mood and when I asked what was wrong he said that he was waiting for the separation papers to go through and what a terrible headache its been. I was a breath away from telling him that as bad as it might be, it probably was better than making funeral arrangements. Instead, I just told him how sorry I was that he has to go through this.

Last week another co-worker was complaining about how one of his kids had mowed the back yard but didnt do the weed eating and that he was going to have to do it that afternoon if it hadnt gotten done by the time he got home. I had a real hard time coming up with any sympathy for him. I wish just once that I would come home to find even part of my mowing done. Or any of the chores for that matter.

Now, I am not whining! I have a great life! I just wanted to share this to remind all of you who have family at home with you to love on them and not take them for granted. You are blessed to enjoy their smiles and their shortcomings and their triumphs and their weaknesses and their hugs.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This is a nice reminder canesisters.

My mantra is: Does it matter? Not in the flippant way that we all say, "Does it matter?" But in a real way. Does it matter?

Does it really matter that the oil isn't getting changed, right now? Is it really going to matter on the day you die that the oil didn't get changed right now?

Does it really matter that the weeds are left standing for one more day? Really...really...does it matter?

This has helped me change my attitude over the last few years. No longer getting stressed out or grumpy over things like, the way my husband folds the bath towels. Instead of...unfolding them and doing it the way "I" do it. It has become: does it really matter that they are folded that way and "thank you honey!"

Life is much more pleasant now.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are so right, canesisters! People miss so much when we focus on the inconveniences of life. I think that is one of the reasons one of my favorite scriptures is Phil. 4:8, where it says "Think on THESE things...whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is true..." It certainly can change our heart and our perspective in a hurry!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good reminders!! I cant believe this is our 12th year of being together, married for 8. I have really mellowed out a lot!! I used to get upset at the way he folded clothes...now i just appreciate the fact that he is willing to put them in the washer, hang them up, and we have established that i will do the folding!! I used to be grumpy about what a mess the kitchen would be when he got done cooking...now i appreciate that he cooks!! I think it takes some years of living to get this perpective...and that it's easy to forget it. :love

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bless your heart Canesister. As soon as I hit post I will go and hug DH. (36 years) On Saturday I locked my keys in my van at the grocery store. DH was at work so I called son, no answer, then DIL to go get my spare key and bring it to me. Within minutes the WHOLE family, Son, DIL and 2 grandsons came grinning into the lot with my spare. I AM Blessed. Even when they are teasing about my absentmindedness. :p They all got smooches and hugs right in the parking lot. :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might just look at it a different way. Sometimes we just need to rant and rave. You must be someone that people feel safe talking to. An open ear can help a lot.
canesisters said:
Our mechanic came in to clock out and asked me to please make sure that the manager knew he left to go pick up his wife whose car has broken down on the side of the highway. Then he started to rant and rave about how he was busy and when she called he told her to call a wrecker. But nooooo, he said, She has to go and start crying! I told her thats what we pay insurance for but she wants ME to come get her. I told him to go get his wife and stop worrying about whether or not the oil gets changed in the dozer today or tomorrow! The work will wait. He didnt even hear me and kept right on about how this was messing up his whole day. This sort of thing just breaks my heart. What I wouldnt give to HAVE someone I could call to come rescue me on the side of the road. Or to have someone who would need me to help them with something.

One of my drivers came in today in a foul mood and when I asked what was wrong he said that he was waiting for the separation papers to go through and what a terrible headache its been. I was a breath away from telling him that as bad as it might be, it probably was better than making funeral arrangements. Instead, I just told him how sorry I was that he has to go through this.

Last week another co-worker was complaining about how one of his kids had mowed the back yard but didnt do the weed eating and that he was going to have to do it that afternoon if it hadnt gotten done by the time he got home. I had a real hard time coming up with any sympathy for him. I wish just once that I would come home to find even part of my mowing done. Or any of the chores for that matter.

Now, I am not whining! I have a great life! I just wanted to share this to remind all of you who have family at home with you to love on them and not take them for granted. You are blessed to enjoy their smiles and their shortcomings and their triumphs and their weaknesses and their hugs.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The birth of grandchildren brought a big change in my way of thinking. . . and in my way of teaching. I suddenly saw the future possibilities rather than the past mistakes. The unexpected death of our 2 year old grandson was another big change. Things became of no value while family and friends were held more dear. That is when I decided to retire -- to spend more time with my family.

Yes, I have hugged DH, DS, the two youngest grands, all the family I saw today. I also sent E-hugs to 4 far-away cousins after finding their "lost" addresses.

I do agree that some folks need a bit of rant and rave time. I am the one who listens - trusted because what is said always stops with me. Sometimes complaining and talking with another person allows them to see another side to their problems and deal with them more calmly.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, that makes me really sad for that first couple you mentioned. Doesn't sound like much of a marriage to me. I know I would sure be uncomfortable to have to hitch a ride with a random tow-truck driver. :( My DH is such a blessing to me. I wouldn't trade him for anything. I know he'd drop what he was doing and come for me. I call him my "bright-and-shining-farmer". He loves that. ;)

And when I look at my rambunctious toddler and remember how close we came to losing her at birth, I find a lot more patience deep down inside than I ever knew I had. I am blessed that she is able to run around and destroy the house and get into mischief. She was a very frail, sick little girl once, but God has been good and brought her so far.

Pets, parents, sibblings, inlaws, kiddos...I hug 'em all tight every chance I get. :happy_flower

6486_leave_them_with_love.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that reminder. It's always an attitude changer when we stop to consider what's really important and to count our blessings.

My husband is my hero. For 35 years he has been willing to drop whatever he's doing to come rescue me, and he never complains about it... I don't take him for granted.

My moms recent diagnosis has changed my perspective. I had a lot of time to think on the long drive home from our visit to her and dad.
I realized how petty my criticisms of her had been about things that happened growing up and beyond. I see that no matter who it is I might be finding fault with, I'm sure to have been guilty of that same or similar behavior.

I'm trying to show my loved ones every day how much I love and appreciate them. And be less critical of others in general.

I think you have a lot of wisdom Cane, and it has probably been earned through some of your own hard times. :hugs

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
really good post and good reminder. my dh of 40 years is my best friend and my hero - but sometimes I find myself taking him for granted. this reminded me to never do that.