Have you ordered seeds for spring yet?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just got done ordering my annuals from Seed Savers and Sand Hill Preservation.

Some of my garden beds just do not get enough light for the typical veggie annuals, so I ordered a bunch of shade-tolerant perennials from Richters and JL Hudson. I guess I get a potager garden whether I wanted one or not. Which is OK.

Win: I finally got Lady Godiva squash! You wouldn't believe how insane I've been the past few years, looking for an automatic pumpkinseed-shelling-contraption. Everything I could find was a big industrial machine made in India. I hate eating them with shells on, because, um, well, the aftermath is not comfortable. I had no idea there was such a thing as hull-less pumpkin seeds, but when I finally found them everyone was sold out. This year, I finally got my order in early enough.

Also got a bunch of alpine strawberries. I've been wanting those for ages. And chicken greens/grain/beetberry by the pound, so the critters will have plenty of fresh food.

What about you guys? Did you order yet? Where from? Get anything good?

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ordered some from valueseeds and I am trying to make up my mind which heirloom company to order from!!! But my dh did stop by a garden place and get me lots of seeds!! He got lots of herbs,heirloom tomatoes,black seeded simpson lettuce,cabbage,broccoli,brusselsprouts,onions and garlic!!! I was so surprised since he is really not into gardening like I am!!!
:rose

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Win: I finally got Lady Godiva squash! You wouldn't believe how insane I've been the past few years, looking for an automatic pumpkinseed-shelling-contraption. Everything I could find was a big industrial machine made in India. I hate eating them with shells on, because, um, well, the aftermath is not comfortable. I had no idea there was such a thing as hull-less pumpkin seeds, but when I finally found them everyone was sold out. This year, I finally got my order in early enough.
oooohhhh--they are so good! I planted those last year and loved those yummy pepitas! Now I'm so spoiled that I'm not eating my regular roasted pumpkin seeds now that the Lady seeds are gone.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh, I had most of my seed ordering done by last fall. I've been thinking about some pole beans though so I may have to put in one last order.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Oh, I had most of my seed ordering done by last fall. I've been thinking about some pole beans though so I may have to put in one last order.
I HAD to go with some pole beans. I already have sprouts up so early of some Blue Lakes. My grandfather used to grow these, and I had several recipes from my grandmother calling for these. I wanted to make sure I had enough to dry for next winter for soups and such. I think 4 plants were enough for me... but if I had the room I'd plant more.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
I had no idea there was such a thing as hull-less pumpkin seeds, but when I finally found them everyone was sold out. This year, I finally got my order in early enough.
I really want to hear how you like 'em, come next Fall! Have been eyeing them myself... for the same reason LOL...

My mom sent in our combined order to Pinetree a little while ago, should be shipping soon but I don't want her to mail my seeds up here til we have a week of more consistantly warm weather! Not much besides lettuce and spinach I could start for a couple months anyhow.

Pat

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grew hulless last year. Pumpkins were small about pie pumpkin size, the dried seeds were everything they said it would be: hulless, tasty, firm. I tried them fresh right out of the pumpkin but they need to be air dried first. I picked the pumpkins around mid October and still have several fresh pumpkins stored in a cool room to use for pies and seeds. I will definitely plant them again this year. I think we got them from Gurney's catalog.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive got my Baker creek order ready to go, just waiting on the extra $ but their prices are so reasonable. If your contemplating on heirloom companies, I think they are great. www.rareseeds.com And Im ordering a couple from Park Seed that i couldnt find anywhere else.