Having Issues with my Yellow Bells

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I ordered some Yellow Belles II from Stokes Seeds and planted them back in late Feb 2015 and transplanted them when they were old enough and strong. The plants I have now are healthy they are full of peppers and blooms.

But the peppers on them seem to take forever to ripen and then when they do ripen they go bad. At first I thought I was feeding it too much cause I know it said if you feed it too much you will get bushy plants with no blooms or crop so I feed it every 2 weeks.

And even then the peppers are huge but they are not ripening. Or they will ripen and go bad Or go bad and then ripen.It's almost like they have to go bad for the pepper to start ripening.

I started out selling these to a CO-OP July 15 thur July 29th but I haven't gotten anymore to ripen.And also when I staked them I had put 1 pepper plant on each side of the stake,So I have 2 plants to the stake but they are on different sides.
Cause the co-op I sell to prefers to buy colored bell peppers,But I can't sell to him if I don't have the product.And then I thought maybe there were no more nutrients in the ground so I gave them Black Cow fertilizer and Didn't give them any kind of liquid fertilizer for a month.

So I'm wondering If I need to go out there and pull off all the new blooms and the small peppers that have bloomed off the bush? I mean If the bush is full of blooms,new peppers and big peppers will they go bad as they ripen on the big peppers since they are not getting nutrients?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you describe "go bad"? if they start getting a rotten space at the bottom, it might be blossom end rot, which affects tomatoes, too. It has to do with the plant not having enough calcium, I believe.
If they start rotting in other places, there may be some weather related cause.
The little colored bells I grew last year had that same issue. But the Marconi peppers didn't. Maybe some varieties are more susceptible to blossom end rot.
I think yours have plenty of nutrients in the soil. Except maybe calcium. It might help the peppers that are blossoms now, to get some liquid calcium and spray them.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always had issue with the colored bells. I only grow Marconi's now. They are easy and tasty- but not colorful, if that is what your customer wants. Good luck!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The ones I had so much trouble with last year were seeds I had saved from a pack of "baby bell" peppers from Wally world. I'm sure they were a hybrid, so it serves me right. I was just experimenting. Yeah, that's what I was doing.

Latest posts