Heat/Lights for Seed Starting

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Last year was the first year I tried starting my veggie seeds for seeds. Mostly some tomatoes & peppers. Nothing was too successful. The seeds would germinate, and would get one or 2 true leave and then sort of stop growing. They didn't die, just looked sort of pathetic. I used a heating mat & some T8 lights and the seedlings were kept very close to the lights. I eventually wound up just buying most of my starts and the ones I grew at home just looked so pathetic next to them. This year, I thought I'd try again, but a little smaller. I realize I have a few things that I'm confused about.

Heat - Once the seeds have germinated, do they still need the heat mat? Without the heat mat, the room is around 70 degrees.
Light - Do the seeds need light to germinate - especially the peppers & tomatoes?
Soil - Since I only start a few seeds, less than a dozen, I just purchase a seed starting mix.
Fertilizer - Do the seedlings need any sort of mild fertilizer?
T8 vs T5 - I have 2 T8 lights, 4' and 2 bulbs each. It's really too much for the few seeds I want to grow. I also have 1 T5, single bulb, 24". Would this small T5 be enough for a dozen or so plants?

I know it's a lot of questions, but can someone point me in the right directions? Please. I really want to try starting plants from seeds, but last year was miserable.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a lovely appeal, Jo-Ann. And, just moments after I admitted my advise is next to worthless . . .

:p

Heat - I have trouble imagining that a heat mat would be needed at all in Louisiana. Certainly, 70f is a good growing temperature. Ambient warmth should match the amount of light. Cool conditions are usually needed because we have trouble providing adequate light within our homes for most plants. You are, however, growing a couple of light- & heat-lovers - especially those peppers.

Light - No, pepper & tomato seeds do not need light to germinate.

Soil - I'm skeered of making changes in my soil mix! I use the wrong kind - regular old Black Gold potting soil. Really, I think that a good "seed starting mix" would be fine but I almost had a ruined growing year once after buying an "off" brand of potting soil. I still see that cartoon daisy on the bag in my memories and hate it! Hate it! Hate it!

"Fertilizer - Do the seedlings need any sort of mild fertilizer?" Probably. It depends on how long they have to stay in that starting mix. Some of that stuff has zero nutrients but the seed doesn't need any for the first couple of weeks. What it needs, is already in the seed. I do bottom watering as long as I can. Not much is washed out of the soil that way (as well as the fact that I don't flatten the seedlings by sprinkling water on them.) Certainly, by the time I'm running the watering wand or sprinkler can over them, they need a little fertilizer.

Jo-Ann, I don't know about lights - sorry. But, we need more ideas anyway.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used 2 t5's for the best results, but I have also used a single t5. When I used the single t5, the plants were outside on the nice days, and that worked out fine.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
will have to agree with steve on advice, we all have our ways, different ways of starting seedlings and different germination methods.
so heres my 2 cents worth...

heat... 70 is a great temp.heat mats are great but you need to be careful having your trays to close to the mat, took a temperature probe and placed in the soil and found out that i was cooking the seeds the temp reading was over 95,
so raised up the trays using some bricks till the reading was at 70, once they sprouted removed the pad.

soil.... yup a good soil less mix is called for been using miracle-gro soil less mix for years.

fertilizer.... seedlings have all they need for the first couple weeks, after that a mild dose of liquid fertilizer should be used, maybe every other week. and yes always water into the bottom of the tray.

watering..keep the soil moist only put in as much water as the soil will take< you can add, but hard to subtract> you have to check on a daily basis .

lights.. that in it self is a conversation by it self... t-12,t-8,t-5, led, metal halide.. depending on your situation would go for a t-5 6 bulb high bay fixture<it has a polished reflector> about 150.00
t-8 4 bulb will use around 1.1 amps
t-5 6 bulb will use around 2.3 amps
just my preference buy american made, if you can find a high bay fixture at a big box store you will be replacing those chinese ballasts in a years time.
find a electrical supply house at see if they carry atlas lighting products or if they can get them.... http://www.atlaslightingproducts.com/t-company.aspx

once your seeding are up during the day the heat from the lights will keep them warm, and during the night a little 1200w personal heater set on low works great and if you have a room for a small fan even better

did forget to mention if you use the starter seed cells from last year its a good idea to wash them out with a little bleach before using again< helps warding off diseases>

and of course closer to planting time slowly harden them off outside...

again each their own on how they start seedlings....

hope this helps

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll toss my .02 in.

Heat...I never use a heat mat. I keep seeds on the dresser and it gets a little cool in here. Anything above 50 will do really.

Light...I use 4' sunshine spectrum bulbs. They work just fine and are inexpensive. Keep them close to the plants, about 2-3" from the tops.

Soil...I use Promix BX, but any milled peat will do. With the promix I filter out the perlite because it can interfere with germination. When I pot up, I leave the mix complete.

Fertilizer...After the first true leaves form I feed with weak Alaska Fish. Mix a full strength gallon, then add water to make two gallons. After third true leaves (tomatoes and peppers mostly) feed full strength fish with each watering.

Latest posts