Hedgehog

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To our country house comes hedgehog. My youngest son loves it and feeds. The problem - hedgehog has growths on the nose, face and eye. Red and black. Hedgehog mobile and good to eat, but I'm worried. Of course, I do not allow son to touch his hands. And I can not get rid of the hedgehog. But I do not know what happened to him. You did not see this on the animals? What could it be?

IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right not to allow him to touch it. A client got one for her daughter as a pet. She developed a rash on her hands,nothing help. Finally a Dr tested for some rare fungus found only on hedgehogs tested positive.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might try researching diseases that hedgehogs get. If it is a fungus, maybe there is a treatment you could get at a veterinary supply store to put in the water the hedgehog drinks. If it is a bacterial infection, there are antibiotic powders that can be bought to treat the animal.
Good luck!

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess I'll talk to son seriously. I explain that hedgehog take care of itself better. The son already has an allergy to pollen. But I will look for a veterinarian who can treat hedgehogs. In Moscow, mainly treat cats, dogs, birds and reptiles. Even for the hamster to find a vet - a problem.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's a Yankee parrot probably has a new york accent when it talks.....

@Larisa know this sounds curl but have hubby put it down and bury it.....

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
know this sounds curl but have hubby put it down and bury it.....
Perhaps his appearance implore for euthanasia. But he will come trustingly to his bowl, and his ax on the head? My husband can not even kill a chicken. And I - a pacifist. (As long as someone else's chicken does not come running to my garden.).

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, he is a cute little fella, isn't he. I don't think there is any need to put him down. And probably no sense in taking him to the vet and treating it unless you intend to keep him. He'll just go back out and pick it up again. Found the name of it here. It seems to be a superficial problem for the hedgehog, but is contagious to humans, cats and dogs. That would be the only cause to dispatch him, if you worried about other pets catching it. Your son will not want to touch it once you explain to him, I'm sure.

Hedgehogs can develop fungal disease of the skin. A fungus called Trichophyton mentagrophytes most commonly causes it. This fungus can also affect cats, dogs and humans. The signs of the disease are similar to mange mites, but the hedgehog is usually not “itchy”. The lesions appear mostly around the face and ears with dry, crusty and scaly skin. A veterinarian can make the diagnosis by plucking some affected hair or quills and performing a fungal culture. The treatment may include both topical and oral medications. It is necessary to treat all the hedgehogs
that might have had contact with each other. In addition, other household pets should be examined by your veterinarian and may also be treated.

Latest posts