Heirloom Tomato

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone grow Black Trifle? I just picked up a plant at the Farmer's Market in Raleigh, NC (was visiting a friend). I couldn't resist: it only cost $2.00!

On a side note, I have a tomato plant growing out of my compost bin! Not sure what it is, but I am going to try to transplant it this week.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You were seriously just in Raleigh and you didn't tell me!!!

We just moved to Fuquay, only 30 minutes from town. I actually used to live by NC State until last June. Love the farmers market, and I hopefully will be selling fruit there in the next couple of years when my apple trees produce! I would have loved to say hi!

Never tried that tomato, but it sounds like it may be something else by another name actually!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi :frow

Yes, I'm growing them! :D

I sowed the seed in the middle of April inside. They are now outside in large pots & are between 18"-24" high. I have 7 of them. I can see a couple of flowers forming on one of them.

A local famous chef,(Raymond Blanc) who has his own huge walled vegetable garden at his ritzy hotel a few miles from me, did a taste test in his kitchens last summer & this tomato won hands down). It was shown on TV. It was this programme that encouraged me to buy the seeds along with the others I'm growing.

I'll keep you posted on their progress & especially on their TASTE !!! :lol:

:rose Hattie :rose

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Vfem: I honestly thought about giving you a heads-up, but it was a very last-minute decision and I was there for a weekend-long babyshower for one of my best friends that I never get to see. :) Next time we shall meet up for sure! :D

Hattie: Somehow I knew you'd be the one to tell me you were growing some! I bought the plant on a whim, not knowing if it will be good or not, but all the research I've done said they have a great flavor. I can't WAIT!!! Definitely keep me posted on yours! :clap