Hello from a newbie!

tentreeacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just wanted to say hi, and say that I am so excited about this new forum! I heard about this site from BYC that I am a member of. That is a great site and I was excited to become a member of this one. I'm new to gardening, I don't have a garden yet, but I have plans for one. Right now, though, I have 10 baby trees that I just planted a week ago and are in my house for the winter until spring. Don't know if that's the best thing to have done, but that's why I was excited to join this site, to learn what I should and shouldn't do! And everything in between! I got my 10 baby trees from the National Arbor Day Foundation as a promotion to become a member. I got 10 trees last year too, but only three made it. This year I'm starting them off inside and I have high hopes that all ten will make it this year.
gardening.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, look at that smilie! I don't even know where these things come from nor how they get past customs!

Welcome Tentrees!

My ol' dad has some oak trees in his dining room window right now. He is ever the optimist and picked up some acorns on a recent trip to California. They popped right up.

I'm not entirely sure how that'll work for him since it's below zero some nights here and we are a long way from balmy Spring weather. They'll need to stay indoors lookin' out for quite awhile.

This could be a little tuff on Dad's oak trees but you are in Texas and I'm thinking those 10 trees are going out fairly soon. What will be tuff on Dad's trees is that his trees only receive light that's filtered thru 2 panes of glass. We are told that each will cut out about 10% of the light so that's 20% loss. Then, this IS Winter, after all. So the light falling on that window won't be of many hours. Next, they will need to go out from the comfortable temperatures and protection of the house to the "wilds" of the outdoors. That sun will be direct and the temperature will range widely.

Actually, I think that Dad's trees will be fine - he had an avocado growing over his left shoulder at the dinner table for years. It went out on the deck every Summer.

If plants don't get much sun indoors the best thing you can do for them is keep the temperature down. Dad's dining room is fairly cool and plants sit on the floor - the coolest part of the room. If it is real warm, they'll go lookin' for that sun and ssttrreeettcchh to do it. Stretching will make for trouble especially when they are eventually set out in the wind - POW!! You don't want to coddle them indoors just to have them die outdoors.

Another thing that can kill the little pampered darlings is if they go from that weak filtered light into that "fierce" sunshine! You'll need to "harden 'em off just like your tomato plants. But, one thing for sure - a tree has lots more reserves than a tender 6 week old tomato seedling.

Steve

tentreeacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Steve,

Right now they are on a table top right in front several windows. I keep the house pretty cool, but comfortable for US not the trees. (about 70) They are in my dining room too and it's warmer in the other parts of the house. I was worried about when to plant them. Texas gets pretty hot and the sun can beat down hard at times so I figured I'd have to acclimate them by planting them just after the last freeze, problem is I don't know when that is since this is only my 2nd winter in Texas! :barnie also I don't know if it will send them into shock going from my house to outdoors. Should I wait till it's closer to spring since they are already budding out? I am absolutely brand spankin' new at this gardening thing! :idunno

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is probably too late but if any are not breaking bud yet, put them outside (potted up) in a fully shaded (but outdoors, not dark) well sheltered place, and keep them lightly moist and as cool as possible for as long as possible.

If they're starting to leaf out, you want to keep them out of direct sunlight for a few weeks, and absolutely out of the wind and protected from freezing temps (or even from near-freezing, depending on the kind of tree), BUT COLD. In your house is not a good plan unless the only alternative is freezing. Keep protected but cool (and for a while shady) til your seasons catch up. Do not under any circumstance fertilize.

Note that even if you have an 'accident' and the leaves croak, there is still some chance the tree will come back so don't give up on it, keep lightly moict and protected til you can plant outdoors, then keep well moist, and see what happens.

(edited to add - look up your last freeze or ask neighbors or extension service - it is really important to find out)

Good luck!

Pat

tentreeacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok, The only "outside" place they can go that they won't freeze in inside my shed. It has low light inside and it's not heated so it gets pretty cold in there, but it's completely safe for them from the wind. Would that work? and will it shock my babies that have budded?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldnt' put anything that's started leafing out in the shed if it is 'dim' in there; but anything else can certainly go in there, just check it once or twice a week to see if anything's sprouted leaves and needing to be moved out.

I don't know what your property is like, but in a lot of places, right up against the house can be fairly well protected against moderate freezes, especially if you pile up some plywood (etc) against it to cut the wind and keep direct sunlight off the plants. Might that be an option?

Another possibility, I dunno what your weather/climate is like, is that if you are not too far from 'ok' weather, maybe plant them outside but shield very well on all sides with several wraps of burlap, staked in well against the wind. You could toss a bedsheet over the top for additional protection on hard-frost nights. This might be good for plants that have started leafing out, if you are not *that* far from spring.

Something I have read about once or twice, but never tried, for when you get bareroot or otherwise un-leafed-out woody plants too soon to be able to plant them, is to bury them horizontally under a buncha soil (but you could probably use compost or mulch or something if you were desperate). While there is some chance of mouse/vole damage, you will at least be keeping them good and cool. If it were me and I really could NOT plant them, this is what I'd probably do for everything that did not have actual leaves starting on 'em. But I would peek once a week to make sure that everything was ok.

Good luck,

Pat

tentreeacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thanks, I'll see what I can come up with!

Latest posts