Hello from Australia

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
First of all, I should say I wandered over here from Sufficient Self, so I'm probably not a stranger to some of you here.

I am an American transplant, living and loving my home in Tasmania (the little green island off the southern tip of Australia's mainland). I married my man, and moved from California, my state of birth, to join him in his state of birth. I think it's the best thing I've ever done.

Shortly after arriving here, I fell in love with gardening. We had built a raised bed by the house, and that summer I had picked 24 kilos of tomatoes, about 20 large capsicums (bell peppers), a handfull of chilies, some fresh green garlic, and a few herbs. Several months later, I rented a plot in the community garden, and shortly thereafter, rented a second plot. I'm growing leeks, Brussels Sprouts, garlic (failed, unfortunately), red and brown onions, chives, silverbeet, broad beans, radishes and swede.

It's winter here now, so doubtless I'll be jealous of everyone's summer green until the weather warms again, but I'm planning and plotting to raise the yield of our fresh food in order to ease food costs, as they're high right now.

So... pleased t'meetcha.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello, Hello! Happy you found your way to TEG :frow!

I have never been to Tasmania but "drove" upriver from Hobart along the Derwent River on Google Street View a couple of months ago ;). I don't remember where I started but the highway took me to a national park.

It was all so similar to the country around here . . . at least, from Street View :rolleyes:.

I hope you have lots to share on TEG!

Steve

ETA: I was also born in California.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! You can cheer us up,when you are gardening and we are shoveling snow! Looking forward to hearing about your experiences...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome

Its so nice to meet you, I wonder over to SS once in awhile... usually here or BYC though. :cool:

Can't wait for you to start sharing pictures... would love to see your gardens. :D

Latest posts