HELP! Ants in my soil when I pulled up my radishes.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there!

I've just ordered some nematodes because I have terrible troubles with ants where I live. The soil is so well drained & there is a streak of sand which goes trough my garden deep down. One of my neighbors suggested them as they had worked for him. So I have my fingers crossed. I'll report back as to what happened.

:rose Hattie :rose

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I got some at lunch and then I contacted there customer services because I was worried. Here is the script of our converstation.

Me - I have noticed that your products are organic. With that said I am assuming that Crawling Insect Control is safe to place in vegetable beds. Please let me know as soon as possible.

Them - It is a natural product that can be used to control insect pests in many areas around the home and in the garden.

Me - Could you please be a little more detailed in regard to vegetables (tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers etc...)?

Them - Since the product is not specifically labeled for use in the vegetable garden, by law, I cant provide the level of details you are requesting. Im not aware of anything in the product that would be harmful if applied to vegetables.

So what do you think? The product is Natural Guard Crawling Insect Control

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wouldn't risk it.

You are talking "fire ants" aren't you? I am assuming that since you are in the south.

If you are in a pinch while you waiting for the food grade DE, AND these are fire ants, try sprinkling some corn meal over them. They ingest the meal and it supposedly puffs up inside them and kills them. I have done this before when I lived in TEXAS and it seemed to work. I never saw dead ants, just an empty ant hill.

Good Luck to you!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm 100% on not using ANYTHING that is NOT guarenteed for food! Period, I would never chance it.... not to mention I would still fear my chickens getting into it. I suggest Food Grade DE as its used around horses and IN chicken coops. That makes me feel good about it.

I would find it and order it online... if they aren't fire ants I wouldn't rush putting anything out on them. Just wait until you can get what you are comfortable with. At this point, so early on... I doubt it is even a HUGE colony at this point.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use my grandmothers remedy for ants put the kettle on the stove boil the water and carry it outside and pour it on the ants and the ant holes...watch for the ants to swarm that's when they move to a new location and there are thousands of them above ground... a big kettle of boiling water does wonders...

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes I've used this method too, if you just want them to move out. But what about the radishes? :D I've never had boiled radishes...LOL.

Thank God that you don't have fire ants in your garden. Regular ants should be pretty harmless unless they are a large colony.

Good Luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yeah, honestly unless this is a GIANT HUGE ANT METROPOLIS like the earth is seriously swiss-cheese for several square feet, I think you are best off ignoring it.

A significant part of learning to garden is learning what to ignore. Really :)

Good luck,

Pat

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
yeah, honestly unless this is a GIANT HUGE ANT METROPOLIS like the earth is seriously swiss-cheese for several square feet, I think you are best off ignoring it.

A significant part of learning to garden is learning what to ignore. Really :)

Good luck,

Pat
Good advice.:)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here... I just ordered it here.

I chose usps shipping for $12 priority will be here in 2-3 business days. It was the largest one I found that didn't have ridiculous shipping charges. The other sites I saw had decent prices on the stuff for 1.5lb-15lb..... the shipping was like $15-$25 though!!!

Diatomaceous Earth

I got it shipped here for a total $23.75

Latest posts