help building window boxes!!

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this. Im gonna build window boxes this year for herbs. Does anyone have any tips for doing this? Im going to build them out of scarp wood and painting to match the house. Im wondering about cold frames for them and a watering system. Do i drill holes in the bottom for the water to get out? Could i grow veggies or fruits in them? Any advice for a complete newbie?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is decide on the dimensions of the box. You want something that will fit in with your house and add to it's beauty. Too large or too small of a box in relation to window size and the elevation of the exterior is going to look out of place.

Then how are you planning on mounting the box. That may or may not be determined by the exterior facade of your house...i.e. brick, wood siding, vinyl siding, etc.

As far as drainage, I think some weep holes are certainly in order. Covered with old screen or something similar to help keep your soil in the box. What you can grow in them is going to depend on the depth of the boxes and the amount of sun each one gets. Morning sun and some afternoon shade works great for a lot of herbs...basil springs to mind. Good luck! :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL's windowboxes that my FIL built are made of cedar (lasts long, won't warp or rot from all the watering) and he used 1/2" x 1/2" galvanized wire mesh for the entire floor of the box, for drainage. MIL then puts her plants in square plastic nursery pots (with their own couple of drainholes) that fit nicely in the window boxes. This is very simple and easy to maintain for her.

I think if you wanted to have more planting options, you could also line this kind of box with coconut fiber, peat moss, or mesh fabric and plant the whole thing with potting soil as well.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hattie you find the best links EVER! :D

I want to do this this year as well ninny. How nice it would be to have a box of herbs just sitting outside my kitchen window. I can just reach out while I'm cooking and grab what I need right then and there! You know what I mean :pop yummmmm

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've never seen window boxes in real life. I always thought the pics of them looked nice. But after reading this it makes me wonder. If you have drainage holes (which would be a must) doesn't the wall under the boxes get streaked with dirt, etc. when the boxes drain? You never see pics of houses with dirty walls under the boxes but it makes me wonder. Anybody know?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
I've never seen window boxes in real life. I always thought the pics of them looked nice. But after reading this it makes me wonder. If you have drainage holes (which would be a must) doesn't the wall under the boxes get streaked with dirt, etc. when the boxes drain? You never see pics of houses with dirty walls under the boxes but it makes me wonder. Anybody know?
Not sure.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That shouldn't be a problem if you're using a good potting soil. You can either set little plastic pots of flowers in there, just as you'd buy them from the nursery. Or if you want to plant your own (I'd still start them in flats and get them going before putting them in) just use some peat moss or whatever in the bottom of the box and good potting soil on that. Don't water too heavily/quickly. Just hose it off if you do make a mess.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was planning on using some black plastic with tiny holes in it to line my box. I also figured I'd use some hay down at the bottom to act as a starter filter.

Jojo, I had the same concern... but like you... I've never seen it happen!?