Help for Aggressive Rooster Problems

Reaction score
I'm hoping we'll get lucky with our 2 cockerels, so far they are good, never shown any aggression towards me or my daughter. But they are 18 and 22 weeks, so they have plenty of time to screw up I guess! I'm really hoping the Black Copper Marans (22 weeks) stays as sweet as he is now, because he's big and beautiful and is going to be the foundation for my dual purpose flock.

My Barred Rock is almost as big, but not nearly as pretty. He gives me the eyeball sometimes, but keeps his distance. I took him from the neighbors as a favor, since he was the "extra" thrown into their order this spring, so I don't want to eat him unless he's really nasty since they like to visit. Although I did tell them if he turned out mean we'd eat him and they were fine with that.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a Roo that was very aggressive, I tried all the tricks, holding him squirting him with water I have scars, he now lives in a clear house in a frozen neighborhood

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am new to chickens, and have only had one rooster, Oreo. He was sent in a batch of sexed pullet chicks, so a mistake. But I am thrilled w/ this mistake, he has been nothing but awesome w/ the chickens and w/ us. While I have never had to deal w/ an aggresive rooster I feel the same about them as any other animal in my care, any animal that doesn't accept that humans are alpha and especially family does not stay, ever, under any circumstance. Oreo is over 1 year old and still a perfect gentlemen. I doubt seriously I would ever try and recondition a mean rooster though I think it would be rehomed (with full disclosure) or freezer camp for someone even if I couldn't do it. (still trying to screw up the courage for that)

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you feed the rooster first and let him call the hens to him to share the food you just gave him, he sees you as the source of a means to look good to the ladies. It seems to take the threat away from you. I have one that never has tried to flog me, he is always the first in line when I bring treats and I always see that he gets a little to share with the girls before anyone else. The other two roos have both given half-hearted attempts to flog me but always when I'm not looking, and they run like the devil afterward, wth the first roo in hot pursuit! :lol:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just solved my aggressive rooster problem with a horse training whip! I traded a friend 2 young hens for 2 young roosters last summer. One rooster is passive and the other is...down right MEAN. He recently decided that I was a threat when I come to fill feed and water, even WITH the dogs in the pen with me. So...I took my horse training whip out, went in the pen the other day, walked straight towards him and smacked him twice. Now, he gets out of my way.
Thought I'd share.
The whip runs about $12.
The peace I feel.....priceless.

Boy, HE's gonna taste good this next winter.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Make him into soup.
I had a rooster for years that would stomp his feet at me. One day he came at me with his spurs. I had shorts on and he raked my leg. I kept lightly stepping on him to calm him down and every time I let him go he came at me again. My husband was using a tiller and did not hear me screaming. He finally heard me and grabbed the rooster and sent him to a better place. We had small children at the time. My kids would no longer go in the chicken coup after a few run-ins with roosters. I think some breeds are more aggressive. If you have too many for the number of hens that you have that seems to make them more aggressive.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have one little spit fire that I swear is the devil. He is meaner than any other rooster and goose that I have had to date. I normally carry him upside down by his feet while I'm doing the yard chores. This seems to calm him down for a few weeks, then he goes at it again. I can't do much else with him because I'm kinda baby-sitting. There was a post on BYC for this trio and I took them in. Always told her if she was ever in a position to have them again, I'd give them back. This one was her sweet little baby. Sweet my as...eye.