Help for indoor cactus, please!

high1

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello

I have a cactus about a foot or so high which had nice long healthy firm green leaves when I kept it out of the sunlight and rarely watered it.

I have recently moved it so that it is exposed in a window to the sun for several hours a day and it is watered every now and again. The leaves have gone a distincy pale yellow culture and I wonder what is wrong with it?

Should I buy it cactus food, or move it or change the soil. I don't know. Can cacti usually live in our English garden soil? It rains a lot here - I am in Manchester.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can actually buy a bag of cactus "dirt". (At least here in US). It is kind of sandy and has small stones in it...I think you should probably repot it. It sounds like you may be over watering it. If it was thriving in a dryer circumstance, I would cut back. I water mine once a month at most and sometimes much less. I doubt the sunlight is the problem. Good luck!

high1

Sprout
Reaction score
Many thanks for that, Lesa.

I'll try to get hold of a bag here and maybe put it back where it was - so temperamental!

Thanks again.

Steve

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree you must neglect a cactus and too much water is not good ...but the "leaves" have me wondering if maybe it is another thing? can you post a picture?

also they thrive on being in small pots and are less prone to rot

I would not try outside

but if you can share a picture I think it would help

I have a lot of both cactus and succulents that look like cactus so if I see it maybe better advice could be given?

good luck !

Latest posts