Help ID this minty smelling plant??

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a large patch of these plants that grows out in my pasture, area is not mushy wet, but close. Very strong mint scent, really clears up your nose! Stems are square.
There are two types, one that grows red and the other grows green.

I'm pretty darn sure it's in the Peppermint family, but it's not hairy like I keep reading it should be.
I'm wanting to try peppermint plants/oil to get rid of mice, so A) need to know what this plant is and B)then research if it can be used to deter mice.

mint.jpg

mint1.jpg

mint3.jpg

Reds
mintr1.jpg

mintr.jpg

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
While I'm far from an expert; I'm inclined to believe that you have at least two separate sub-species of mint. Are they growing in a wet area?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Area easily floods some, its mooshy when you walk on it.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking one may be a form of black peppermint, the other looks to be a subspecies to me too. Maybe an aquatic mint or curly mint?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks!

Would it be easy to transplant some of these up around the house? Its more dry by the house. This stuff is growing out in full, open sun.

Anyone try mint plants or mint oil to get rid of mice, did it even work?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Apparently mint prefers cool, shady, moist areas, but will grow in full sun as yours is. One thing you may want to consider is that mint grows from stolons, and is very difficult to keep under control.

Many claim that planting mint repels a lot of pests including rodents. The theory is that the aroma is just to intense for them. :idunno

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mint can become invasive. I have found that when I planted many types of mints together that one will take over for a year or two and the rest will hide till they have eventually taken over the leader and will go in cycles like that. I recommend planting them in nursery pots to help keep them in check,. Just watch for the runners that tend to jump over the side of the pot.

Oh, and mint will grow in just about any condition. They are not fussy! :lol:

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't care for a perfect lawn. Might be nicer to have a mint lawn than grass that grows 3ft tall...
The black peppermint looks the closest to what I have.
Would be nice to have it in the dog yard, so when they run, dig and chew on it, it will smell nice...

I'm wondering if animals can eat the mint, just small amounts or enough to be part of a daily feeding...hmm...

I really wish grass only grew a foot tall and never any taller, including the seed stalks! :(

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is supposed to be ok for animals to eat it. but i think if you have any that are still lactating it could help them dry up. if i remember this especially helps with rabbits that are trying to wean the kits.

Latest posts