Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Please help me! I've looked all over to find out what this is:
mysteryplant1.jpg

the leaf:
mysteryplant3.jpg

against a trumpet vine:
mysteryplant2.jpg

It just got started a few years ago. I don't remember if I sprinkled seed there or not! :he How did it get there? It seems like an invasive--it creeps along and propogates itself by the root. It has not flowered--it is aromatic (it reminds me of artemesia) It grows to 12" tall or so. It crowds out my other plants, and I want it GONE!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it's one of the weedy artemesias. Definitely invasive and no, you didn't plant it. I can't tell you the specific plant but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. All you can do is pull, pull, pull, and don't let them set seed.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes, get it out before it goes to seed!!!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted that stuff on purpose, and totally ignored the garden center's warning that it was invasive. It is on my list to be completely uprooted this year, but I'm sure I'll be pulling it out for years to come. :/

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That is definitely artemesia, a terrible invasive weed that will spread like wild fire by the roots and by seed. I walk my land every year with a spray bottle of roundup and kill all that I find.

It is one of the very few uses of "chemicals" that I have. I hate getting the plants that are growing adjacent to it, but the artemesia will kill them with competition anyway, so a spray away. Its war!

Fortunately, the round up kills it deaaaad.

Debby

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone! I knew I could count on you for fast answers. I'm going shopping to KILL....:somad

byoung14ever

Sprout
Reaction score
Rural King has a product called vine and stump killer thats works on this plant. Cut it off and apply one drop to the stem left after cutting and it will kill out the root system

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Wow, lucky you on your weed. That is called common Mugwort. It is used with dried Juniper and Sage to make 'Smudge Wands'. When Mugwort is smoldered it creates an inviting aroma and cleanses other odors. Mugwort has a natural sedative which soothes the inhaler.

Just type in Mugwort into your search engine and you will see that this 'herb' is one of those natural wonders.

I would adore that in my yarden!

Ron

Latest posts