Help Me Choose Some Trees - Redwood - Fruit ?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
The other day after posting this thread here I started thinking to myself, "Boy, I'm putting a lot of work into some plants that I'm not really in love with. I really should put the effort into something that will pay off in the long haul!"

We're waiting for some development in the vacant lot behind our house which will dramatically effect our property and we'll be doing a lot of landscaping during and after construction. I don't want to plant anything in the ground for fear that I'll have to just tear it out in a year or two.

So, I'm thinking I should get some small plants and plant them in huge pots / containers, then in 1-2 years plant them in the ground after all the landscaping is done. What do you think of this idea?

I'm in the Bay Area of California and LOVE redwoods. There are a lot in the area, but unfortunately none on our property. They give off such beauty and shade and really give me the "forest" feeling, even with just a few trees. I'd also like to get some fruit trees going. I love apricot and my wife would love a lemon tree.

Well, will you guys help me? Mostly, is this a good idea (small tree in big pot)?

Also, what redwoods do you recommend? I'm super impatient so I'd love something that grows fast, especially because we'll probably need them to block the view of the neighbors when the new houses come in.

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think that a year or two in pots is going to help the trees long-term... you would get better eventual growth and health out of them if you just wait to buy them til you can plant them 'for real'. Vigorous shrubs won't mind as much (or at any rate, the consequences of a permanently-somewhat-deformed root system will not be as serious for something that only gets like 5' high). Would something like that work for you?

Pat

sht4luck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
yea you probably want to wait at fall and use the summer to figure what you want. You might try a forest garden whith edible fruits and bushes. (Permaculture). check out the site path to freedom. they live in cali. on a city plot but grow almost everything they need to eat. good luck to ya.:)

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello,
I took a forestry class while in college, and most redwoods will grow fairly fast. Buy a tree that is about 2-5 years old and I think you will be happy with its size in a year or so. I know that my dad has had his in the ground for 10 years and it seems like they should be 50 year old trees. I think what you want to look for is height, how tall do you want them to get? Also "bushy" factor. And finally do you want that sequoia type bark where is comes off in thread like clumps, or more of a x-mas tree bark, I love the thready stuff, but after a windstorm it can be messy.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I like tall and bushy and Sequoia type bark. Just reminds me of being in the forest. I'm surprised how drawn I've become to them over the past 6 months and really really notice them as I drive around.

Latest posts