Help me find what this is????

daisychick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
6229_picture_059.jpg
[/img]

I bought this years ago at a garden center. I can't remember what it is called. It gets tall purple flowers and then seed pods after flowers. It can't be killed!!!! :/ I don't want it anymore and it is very invasive. The leaves are very fuzzy and furry. This is what it looks like early spring. What is it???

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"Lambs' ears", Stachys byzantina.

It grows real fast, turns into horrible floppy mush if waterlogged or frosted, reseeds pretty bad for me.

Just dig it out and keep at it, eventually you will exhaust the roots and seed bank, honest.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like it b/c it grows like stink (thus good for temporarily occupying space in new beds with "something", to be removed later when I get a 'real plant' to put there <g>) and the kids like to play with the leaves. The two patches of it in my front flowerbed may get to stay there long-term, as the grey-white leaves and even the flower spikes do go well with other things... but it gets cut severely back on a regular basis to keep it behavin' :)

Pat

daisychick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks! Lamb's Ear it is then. I don't mind it but I can't keep it from seeding in my lawn and taking over the plants next to it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
daisychick said:
Thanks! Lamb's Ear it is then. I don't mind it but I can't keep it from seeding in my lawn and taking over the plants next to it.
Try lopping off the flower spikes as soon as they form, or anyhow no later than when the earliest flowers on a spike are 'finished'. Presto, no more seeding :)

Pat

daisychick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
yes I could try that! Keep the seeds from forming!

Has anyone tried to plant anything in the bare spots and have it not be choked out by the Lambs Ear?? And if so what would be good to plant with it?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
they don't like hot/humid (or cool/humid, or anything involving humid :p) so that mayv'e been at least part of the problem? Also they like fairly briskly-draining soil IME.

Pat

daisychick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
yes they love my dry hot climate and dry soil in Colorado! They love it a little too much. :p