Help me plan for cucurbits please

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
well that would be nice Joe and I wish I could do that but for some reason when I use straw in the garden it grows! and it is a b#$$h to get out! I will think about this but wow I can not tell you how bad it gets
My chickens take care of that for me...they leave no straw unturned! :p

I am baffled...I have found most squash and cukes to be easy growers. I can't imagine...I'd have to see your garden in person, I think!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks so much for your efforts ..I am a pretty good gardener and seem to grow all kinds of things inside and out with ease ..my husband thinks it is hysterical that I can not grow a zuchini ...

something is up and it is something out of the ordinary I just know it
I have never seen any signs of bugs however just itty bitty bonsia plants

I am going to try a modified version of what RON

check this out ..what if I make mounds between my beds then if grass grows ..well it already grows and I am trying to raise the area between the beds to give them more warmth in the winter
so I thought a half bail between a few of the beds ...ok I am done thinking ...but it is a start..Like I mastered pie pastry ...I will master at least one thing in the cucurbit family!

I miss these things in my garden there is not one I do not like ..except spaghetti squash ...it is a HUGE group to avoid!!!

I guess the whole fun is having something to strive for

..so keep me posted with ideas please!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering about site. How well does your soil drain, HiDelight? What can you tell us - are these plants sitting in waterlogged ground?

Shade?

On a slightly related note: acorn squash was easy for me to grow when I lived where I had a very short growing season. I still can't grow some winter squashes here (even transplanting out). So, acorns should be fine - - wrong.

They taste funny. The buttercups are delish . . . After 2 years of unpleasant acorns and growing, I think it was, 3 different varieties - I gave up on them. A neighbor even had the nerve to tell me they didn't taste good! Early Butternut if I want something different - otherwise Burgess Buttercup.

Some varieties of pumpkins won't fully mature here. I can't get them to Halloween without rot setting in. Rock Star works fine and it's a big one, too.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a clue why you have trouble with that whole family. I've tried to mentally go through disease, pests, sunlight, water, soil, drainage and nutrients. I can't think of anything from the first two that would attack all members of the family and not beans, peas, and greens. Others around you have success, so it is something specific to your site or methods. Do others that have success around you use raised beds? I'm not familiar with them and I know I am probably wrong, but I have visions of the roots growing wild in your planting medium then hitting the soil underneath and stopping. I'd think the root system on beans would be similar enough to the root system on most of the cucurbits that if you can grow the beans in your raised beds you should have at least some success. I've found that while they need a lot of nutrients, the members of this family are easily burned by too much fertilizer applied directly. I'd think beans and peas would suffer the same fate, however, if this were a general problem. Flat out, I just don't know.

I clearly understand what you are saying about the straw. The wheat straw I buy is full of seeds. I tried spreading the straw out for two or three weeks where it could get wet, then raking it back up and using it as mulch. Many of the seeds sprouted and most of the others were left behind when I raked it back up to use. All this extra handling is a pain but it did make a big difference in which crop I planted. I really don't want to thresh wheat. Letting the chickens pick through the straw also sounds like it would work.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve!!!! I think drainage is the issue BINGO!!!!! :weee
seriously I have my beds on a heavy cloth on top of that my soil is pretty heavy I betcha the problem is drainage!!!!

omg that makes perfect sense! ok time to think this one out how do I improve drainage....

that I can do!!!! I bet it is right because everything that thrives likes to be wet

I am going to try to figure out the bed drainage issue

I have 16 raised beds and all of them require so little watering because the water stays put ...so I am thinking that I need to lighten the soil and figure out how to drain better ..maybe I can put a layer of oyster shells in the bottom of one of the beds...

but crap then I have to dig out the dirt ..or even better build one more bed!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What about adding a small french drain to each bed? Ok like get a plastic pvc tub and drill holes in it place it along the side of the inside of the bed and then drip a hole so that the tube goes outside. I am absolutely inept at building things but it may help.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok so far here is the plan .

cover with a plastic umbrella like I did with my tomatoes this year to keep rain off the leaves (this worked well because the plants got lots of airflow but no water set on the leaves)

improve drainage

thanks guys!

anyone else think of anything let me know .....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve!!!! I think drainage is the issue BINGO!!!!!
seriously I have my beds on a heavy cloth on top of that my soil is pretty heavy I betcha the problem is drainage!!!!
Yep, I think you hit it. And you need to remove the cloth bottom too...squash and cukes are very deep rooters...they need a consistent and steady supply of water and their roots go about 16" to 18" down into the soil. Your plants are bottoming out and the growth is stunted as a result...they are struggling to survive, much less produce.

Latest posts