Help! Moldy jiffy pellets!

Bettacreek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have some nicely started plants, mostly peppers, but others as well. They're all started in those jiffy peat pellets and under 24 hour lighting. Some of them are as tall as 2 or 3 inches, but, I have mold on the peat pellets! How do I get rid of it without damaging/killing my little plants and how do I prevent it in the future? Thanks in advance guys, I know you'll help me save my plants!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok first... you want to cut off the 24 hour light cycle. Cut it back some until you get it to at least 12/12 cycle. Secondly, I have found some 'white' colored mold on a few of my peat pots and paper towel roll seed starters. So far its been harmless to my plants. I did let them dry out a bit... and hold off watering so much. It's usually the high levels of warm moisture that do it. Once your plants reach the size they are at you don't have to keep the constant moisture level. Let them dry to the touch before the next time you water and that should really cut the amount of visible mold. It worked on mine.

(Do water if you see your plants reacting badly to starting to dry out... you don't have to leave them unwatered for days or anything.)

I hope that helps!!!

:welcome

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have sometimes been in a real "sweat" to get seedlings out into the sunshine and fresh air because of mold on the soil surface. You probably aren't too far from damping off problems.

I hope you have some warm days outdoors.

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IME you just need more air circulation. If you have a cover on these things, remove it. If they are in a closed room, run a small fan in the corner (away from the plants, *not* pointed at them!) for part of each day. That sort of thing.

Good luck,

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I actually get this problem every year. My mold is pinkish. We boil down sap in our basement on the woodstove, same area as I grow my seedlings, so it is moist! Cut back on watering and consider putting in a fan, which is nice for strengtening those plants before setting outside anyway :) Hope it works out for you!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hi,

For the mold simply take your finger and run across the surface where it is growing. The oils in your fingers will kill it instantly.

As for grow lights on 24/7. Yes, go for it. If the lighting is not producing more than at least 2000 lumens then you may need to increase the number of bulbs used.

Rule of thumb for lighting, under 2000 lumens is not enough for healthy growth. The higher the better. Typically for vegetative growth 18 hours minimum on the lighting; for flowering a 12/12 ratio is required (that is if you want to flower under the lights, after the plant has enough leaves to support it).

Ron

Latest posts