Help planning flower bed

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, we ARE tearing out the boxwood shrubs out front (i think that's what they are!), but I have a question about that. If we simply cut them off art the ground will they come back? I'm not sure how we would actually get them OUT. They've been in there since the house was put in and I'm afraid that they've grown under or into the footer/foundation so I'm worried that pulling them out with a truck might damage the foundation! How would y'all go about this?

Second off, I want something nice in the front of my house. We are trying to decide between hydrangea and azalea. I'm thinking azalea because they bloom in the middle of the winter and spring/summer and they're gorgeous! I did recently read that honey made from certain rhodadendren pollen is toxic, so that has me a little worried. I don't which ones it is though!

Also, last mothers day hubby bought me a yellow Asiatic Lilly and I have it in a pot on our porch. Monday he bought me a blue phlox (blue moon I think?) and another blue perennial (can't remember what right now). We want to plant maybe some white and red perennials in pots on the porch. The only issue I'm having us that the other 2 pots on the porch are on the smaller side. I was thinking of maybe using one of our flower boxes that we usually put the hot peppers in, but I'm nervous they'll get knocked over. Suggestions?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the issue of boxwood removal. I cut a row of boxwood down to size since much of the plants were winter damaged anyway. Two of the shrubs cut the lowest (to a single stem) did not regrow, while the others (cut to show some branching) has come back with no problem.

To remove shrubs, spouse uses a grub hoe -- pick on one side and hatchet on the other. That way he never really digs the plant out, but severs the trunk from the roots just below the ground.

It would seem your choice is to saw them off nearly flush with the ground or purchase a grub hoe and get some muscles flexing. :thumbsup Preferably not yours.

If you have a privet hedge instead, all bets are off. I've never grown them and don't know whether a short cut will keep them from regrowing. My son is removing his with Dad's grub hoe. :barnie (Broke Dad's favorite one and is working with the replacement).

Latest posts