Help Please!!

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My grapes are turning brown. They did this before. I was told to spray them. I did with Schultz fruit spray.
Can someone tell me what is going on with them. They are concord grapes.
Thanks

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are the actual grapes turning brown or/and the plant too?

Downy mildew is a big problem in grape production it affects all parts of the plant. A copper spray does help reduce this and can help remedy the situation. If this is the problem then spray every 10 days for a month or so to rid of the problem. Keeping the plants dry when watering will help prevent this from happening.

It could be something else though. Can you give any more specifics?

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The leaves and plant aren't turning brown. It is just the grapes. Started this week and seems to be spreading like wild fire. I will try and take a photo tomarrow.
What do you spray on them?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the problem might be powdery mildew.

I would spray with a sulfur product but be careful not spray when temps are over 85 since this can burn foliage. Keeping the plants dry will help prevent this further.

For next season use a copper or sulfur product spray with new growth throughout the growing season to prevent mildew.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Oakland,
I have a question. The leaves are really thick. Should I take some of the foilage out? I know this could keep the air from flowing could that be the problem? I don't know that much about grapes. Thanks

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
coopy said:
Hi Oakland,
I have a question. The leaves are really thick. Should I take some of the foilage out? I know this could keep the air from flowing could that be the problem? I don't know that much about grapes. Thanks
That actually might help a lot. During the growing season it's common for leaves and stems to be removed to allow more sunlight and airflow, which are the 2 most important factors in grape production, IMO.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll try it and see what happens. Will report back later. Thanks for all the help Oakland.

Latest posts