Help! What's going wrong with my beans?

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So far the beans (Jade, bush type) this year have been doing fine - the plants themselves were a little smaller than expected but the yield has been as expected. We planted 6 50' rows and have canned over 50 jars so far this year.

A few weeks ago we noticed one of the rows starting to develop what you see in the pics below, and much of that row eventually died. We pulled out the dead plants and replanted the empty spots - they are still too young to yield anything just yet.

This week though we have started to see the same problems on the REST of the bean rows - all of them! We picked beans as usual today and it almost wasn't even worth our time. We have been having to pick twice a week all summer just to keep up with them, but today it was as if they'd given up! Many of the beans that were mature enough to pick were flimsy and dark-colored, and the ones that seemed fine were far and few between.

We've been having upper 90s weather for the last 3 weeks, but these plants look like something else is at work here. Do these pictures help any of you experts see the problem?

2011080219_1.jpg

2011080219.jpg

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have a bean rust here that has done the same thing, looks similar to what you have. Also, heat and drought can kill bean plants and looks similar. I'm not a bean expert, but i don't know any organic cure for this condition, so i always just pull mine up at that point and plant fall greens in their place.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am surprised you were picking as much as you were- for so long. I would say those beans are done. No need to panic- just pull them up and decide what you would like to plant there. I really only got one great picking off my bush beans- the dry and hot weather wasn't easy for them. Happy Gardening!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree with Lisa. They've done their thing and are ready to return to the earth. Unlike vining beans, bush beans will not produce all Summer. They grow all of their beans in several rushes and then are done. That's why they make good canning beans. You get all of them at once rather than some each day like the vines.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They do look just like my beans have started looking and I'm pulling mine out this week and calling them done. I thought I could get a bit more, but not from bush beans. Next year I'm going back to pole beans, I got a bit more for a longer period of time.

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay well while that's disappointing news that they are done, it's somehow easier to accept than thinking I had some disease that I let progress too far. It also gives me hope that the Jade seeds I planted last week (and have now started popping up!) will produce in the early fall.

Thank you all for the information and advice - I'm slowly but surely getting back into gardening and the information here has been an enormous help.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no doubt you will get another harvest-you've got plenty of time!! Enjoy!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have you checked all over the plants for any kind of pests, have you seen any small webs on the leaves?
I am not believing that there at there end of production.

Chris

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
chris09 said:
Have you checked all over the plants for any kind of pests, have you seen any small webs on the leaves?
I am not believing that there at there end of production.

Chris
No webs that I've seen, and no consistent pests. There are the usual ants, grasshoppers, crickets, and maybe a spider or two - nothing that stands out though.

Latest posts