help with gladiolas

Herbgardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted glads last spring and now I am digging up the bulbs. Do I need to store them in the dark? Can I just store them in a bucket? Is it okay to store them downstairs if it might be a little damp? Do I need to trim the tops off? Will mice eat the bulbs? Thanks, Herbgardener

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Make sure the bulbs are dry. Cut off the tops (leaves). I store mine in the basement over winter, under a layer of peat moss. Sometimes I put them in a cardboard box, sometimes a paper bag. I suppose mice might be an issue. Something to keep an eye on during the winter. If you see a problem, I would set a few traps. If you expose them to light, they might start to grow...
Just an aside, the two most beautiful glads I had this year, actually wintered over in the garden! Maybe because our winter wasn't as dreadful as usual... I don't know. They were beauties though!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remove the old corm from the new. It is easiest to do after they have sat for a couple days in the garage.

The time in the garage is a good idea as it allows the fresh, new corms to dry a little. Too much moisture can be a problem in storage.

The gladiolas have gone in wood shavings the last few years. It is important that they spend the winter in the coolest indoor location that you have, that is still above freezing. As Lesa says, they can take quite a bit of cold and often survive in the garden all winter.

If they are stored too warm, you will find yourself out re-planting them very early in the growing season. Otherwise, they may grow too much and be really hard to handle without breaking.

Other than this tendency to grow in storage, I find gladiolas darned easy to deal with in their "off-season." They are easy to dig with a spading fork, easy to clean, easy to bed down in box of shavings, and easy to replant.

And when they bloom, they are gorgeous :rainbow-sun!

Steve

edited to say: I guess you may well be out replanting before the growing season if they grow too much in storage. That would be a little unpleasant for the gardener.

Latest posts