Help with Pholx

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to transplant some creeping phlox that has started to outgrow its area.
IMG_5786.JPG
Here it is in its spot. It is a little brown now as it has not been warm enough yet to work in the garden. I have a lot of clean up to do in that space as it is crowded by daffodil, grape hyacinth and wild geranium. When would be an appropriate time to move part of the phlox, and other things out of this garden?

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is a pity that you did not call phlox cultivar. Phlox subulata? It usually comes out of the snow with lots of green shoots. Perhaps the stones cooled branches. Phlox can plant out when the soil is warm enough for the roots. First, you need to take the secateurs and cut all the branches withered. Then inspect the bush, and to find parts with roots that can be removed for transplantation. If some branches were broken off without the roots, they can be covered with earth. Phlox easily take root. To plant and transplant subulate phlox, as well as all other types of phlox, at any time, but still better to share the bushes after blooming, and of make cuttings before or after flowering.
The best time to transplant daffodils and hyacinths after flowering. But if you really need, then as soon as the emergence of seedlings.

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Larisa. Unfortunately, I do not know the proper name of the phlox. Thanks for correcting me. When Googling Creeping Phlox it is as you called it, phlox subulata. It has soil behind the stone wall and the plant during growth has "creeped" forward over the rocks as suggested by its name, creeping phlox. It is very well established and upon inspection, there really are not any withered branches. It seems pretty healthy. I will try transplanting before blooming and when my region is free of any frost or snow weather

Latest posts