HELP with stain removal / pollen

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK So I was out in the flower bed, dead heading and pulling weeds. Then cut some large lilies to send to a friend. Hours later I look at my shirt and pants. They are COVERED in pollen, I know it is a tough stain to remove. So, any tips to get it out before I wash it and set it in would be welcome.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK So I was out in the flower bed, dead heading and pulling weeds. Then cut some large lilies to send to a friend. Hours later I look at my shirt and pants. They are COVERED in pollen, I know it is a tough stain to remove. So, any tips to get it out before I wash it and set it in would be welcome.

i did look about on-line, all the first steps recommend shaking out as much as you can before you do anything else.

some recommendations for enzyme based cleaners, i guess Shout might be one of those if i remember correctly. laundry soap is supposed to get greasy stuff out, also dish soap. i also saw one recommendation for using a vaccuum with a plain nozzle to suck as much of it away before anything else smushes it around. i'm guessing though that that ship may have already sailed a bit... :)

the other recommendation i saw was to snip the pollen off before bringing in lillies. i agree, those can really be loaded.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go hang out at your husband’s bee hives?

Never had that problem. I never go outside in nice clothing, unless it’s straight to the car/truck and we’re leaving.

I got nothing. We do use Shout and it is good getting stains out. Maybe test a small place?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago, I was asking on TEG how to rid my jeans of dirt stains.

Using a couple of "stain removers" (Shout/Spray&Wash) was still leaving some dirt stains. Since these tended to be on the cuffs, I was adding to them, every time I wore those pants 🤨. Thinking that the stain might be primarily from iron in the soil, I even tried a rust stain remover. Nope.

Finally, I began doing a simple thing - prewashing the pants and leaving them soapy in the machine, overnight. After 12 hours and another wash, they were fairly clean! Better than the stain removers.

One thing, right through the gardening season, I'm not using the dryer. Hanging the jeans out on the line. Dryers set stains more than other treatments, right?

And, I have no idea if this might work for pollen.

Steve

Latest posts