Herb Drying Preparation Question

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere.

I have winter thyme, italian flat leaf parsley, and basil, and if I am drying them should I wash the herbs before beginning the drying process?

I have a test batch drying out in the fridge right now in a paper bag (per the post here by Lesa!) and one small one on the counter in a bag to see the difference (both should be ready in a few days). I washed both of those out of safety, but I am wondering do other people do it as it never seems to be mentioned as a step?

Thanks! :D

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think I did, but I will find out if I did a good enough job in a few more days of dry patting them before I put them up to dry. :fl

I guess I am mostly asking is it recommended to wash first? Or not to wash?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i prefer it since we have a lot of sand and soil that tends to splash up onto the herbs and i don't like the thought of biting into a stone or grit while eating food prepared with it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not wash before drying. I am just afraid of too much moisture. I do let them sit on the counter for awhile (an hour or so) just in case there are any little buggies in there! Good luck!

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I grow most of my cooking and flavoring herbs and I wash everything before drying, freezing, fermenting, or making extracts, etc. I pick into a five gallon pail and run water from the hose into it with a drop of Dawn to break the water tension and let it soak to get the bugs out before bringing it into the house. I give it a good rinsing with the hose, drain it, then bring it in for processing.

For the best flavor you want to get it dried as quickly as you can. I spin it in the salad spinner. A pillowcase filled with herbs and spun vigorously over your head (outside!) will work, too. Then I take the time to remove the leaves from the stems....or at least remove the thickest stems. I spread the leaves out on a plastic crate (the type that hold soda cans for shipping and loading into machines) lined with tulle....a window screen would work, or a low cardboard box lined with paper towels or a smooth dishtowel. Put it them in the back seat of the car and park it in the sun for the day with a tiny opening in two windows to create air flow.

They are usually dry in a day, maybe two depending on the dewpoint. I often finish them up in my little dehydrator.

Stored in glass jars with tight lids, the flavor will last a long time, especially if the leaf is left whole and only crushed when it is time to use it. I use the bail-type canning jars with rubber rings to store them and hang a tag on the wire bail. They look so pretty in my upper cupboards.

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Unless I can visibly see dirt on my herbs, I do not wash them. The best time to pick for drying is mid-morning, after the dew has had a chance to evaporate.

ETA: Washing the herbs (in some hard-core herbarists' opinions :p ) removes some of the herbs essential oils, decreasing flavor, scent, and beneficial herbal properties. Also, if they are still too damp from washing, they can mold while drying.

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well the parsley I had lying out in a brown bag is dry and I put it up, but it does not have a strong smell, so I hope it's still flavorful.

The thyme was *especially* fragrant and looked good so I also put it up since it's done drying (I can still smell it on my fingers mmm). The other parsley I had in the fridge is fragrant but not totally dry yet, I think I am going to leave it out on the counter in the bag for a couple more days or put it back in the fridge to finish.

My basil on the other hand though ... on a few leaves there are some bright green patches toward the tips. I KNOW these were not there before I put them in the bag in the fridge to dry. Is this mold? Should I toss out the whole batch and try again (in this case I will not wash)? Or should I just go right for the freezing/ice cube trays method?

pics of the basil:

2mhwu3l.jpg

111tock.jpg

6gehjo.jpg

Any help is appreciated!! :D

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I dont' think I would throw that basil out just yet...it's hard to tell, since I'm not looking at it in person, but I don't see anything I would call mold. And really, if ya stick it back in the fridge, and a few days later you realize it IS mold, it's just kinda gross, no real harm done!! I also don't think I would freeze it in the ice cube trays, just IN CASE it is mold. But I think it's gonna be okay :) Positive thoughts!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jennifer, how's your basil look now?? I'm headed out to pick some for the bag/fridge method right now :)

Latest posts