Herb Drying Preparation Question

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So I took it out of the fridge today and it looks basically the same as it did the other day. Nothing new or weird.

I am guessing that the kind of mold that would dry on too-wet basil in the fridge would be white and fuzzy? Or black and fuzzy?

Some tiny spots on the leaves have bits of black (specks or a small line--typically very small and one or a few per leaf), BUT I believe they were there when I was washing them after picking (you know how touchy and quickly the color can turn with basil) because it happens all the time when I use them fresh. :p

I'm thinking about using a food dehydrator for the basil next time if I can get one, since it sounds more touchy than parsley and thyme with the color changing and all.

Thanks Heather for the reminder, I forgot about the basil. :p

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well the parsley I had lying out in a brown bag is dry and I put it up, but it does not have a strong smell, so I hope it's still flavorful.
Parsley doesn't tend to keep much of any flavor or fragrance when dried. It's best to use it fresh or freeze it while fresh. You can freeze it in ice cube trays. Just put a tablespoon of parsley in each compartment and top off with water. When it's frozen, take the cubes out and store in a container or freezer bag.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is hard to tell from those pics- not having it in hand. But, I would say it looked fine. Just make sure it is super dry before putting it in a container.... After mine was dry in the fridge I just left it out on a dish for a few days- to make sure it was dry. Enjoy your herbs!

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Lesa, I might do that with this next batch.

This latest batch I did not wash the basil, but left it out on the counter for a while in case of buggies. Didn't see any when I picked off the leaves, and set them on top of a paper towel on a cookie sheet, then layered another paper towel on top with more basil--did three layers in total, then a paper towel on top to cover the leaves, and inserted the cookie sheet into two paper bags then used twine to tie it shut and put it in the fridge. Better than just laying the basil in the bag I thought.

I also made some basil ice cubes with olive oil and a squirt of lemon juice in each one with a bit of water. Will make some more tomorrow or today to see the comparison in taste (after 24 hours in the freezer the ice cubes still look green, so that's good).

Since I am making basil ice cubes with my next parsley batch I will probably do parsley ice cubes too to see the comparison in taste. :D Thanks for the tip, Calendula.

Latest posts