Herb ID--- Summer Savory or Thyme?

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Buried between weeds and a huge sage patch, I found a small, but sprawling plant. It's quite fragrant--- but not one I planted last year-- perhaps from 2 years ago... I know it doesn't look like chervil-- so the only other possibilities (that I can't identify, at least) are either summer savory or thyme. I'm not sure I've ever tasted or smelled either-- and they didn't grow when I planted them both 2 and 3 years ago..

Here's as good a photo as I could get:

The fragrance is actually very overwhelming.... as it sits on the desk below my nose, it's really "too much" for me.... so, whatever it is, perhaps I don't want to continue growing it, LOL.
I tried a bit of a nibble, and it's hard to taste, with such an odor, but seems to have a peppery afterbite.
herbwhatami.jpg

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My guess is Thyme. The stems on the right side of the picture look a little on the woody side. Gonna plant some of both this weekend so I'll know for sure by the end of summer. :)

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just planted some thyme seeds in pots, to plant outside a bit later... I was hoping it might be summer savory.... I want to "like" thyme, lol.... but not sure if I'm going to or not. I want more herbs that I can use fresh, but if I don't like them......
LOL

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
As a chef in a previous life Thyme goes well with red meat, pork and chicken. Savory, I don't know as i have never used it. It is not common as a fresh herb. That's why I just now scattered some seeds in open spots around the garden.

DW just made some split pea soup (it's been cold and rainy today) and after we both tasted it we both thought it would be great to be able to add some fresh Thyme and/or Savory. Now we will have to wait a couple of months. Worth the wait!:)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
RidgebackRanch said:
As a chef in a previous life Thyme goes well with red meat, pork and chicken. Savory, I don't know as i have never used it. It is not common as a fresh herb. That's why I just now scattered some seeds in open spots around the garden.

DW just made some split pea soup (it's been cold and rainy today) and after we both tasted it we both thought it would be great to be able to add some fresh Thyme and/or Savory. Now we will have to wait a couple of months. Worth the wait!:)
Aren't you gonna get kinda hungry?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
nursenettie..I vote for thyme. The older stem looks woody and the leaves are in small clusters every inch or so. If you don't like the flavor of thyme you can still grow it for ornamental purposes.

I use very little of it in cooking but I have different types edging my perenial border. The different colors are so pretty. I have lemon, english, lime, silver, and another one that I don't know the name.

Mary

Latest posts