Herb or Spice Infused Oil

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a little reluctant about this because this might be another idea for eating less of what's good and more of what isn't ...

Still :) DD gave me some bottles of olive oil some time back. I hardly knew what to do with them. Then, I decided to use them as, uh, oil. Great!

I understand there is reason to be concerned about food safety so I'm including this link which is very pro-infused oils but notes some specific cautions.

What are your experiences and ideas?

Steve

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We do an 'Italian Oil' with the spices & garlic that we use as a marinade & for dipping homemade Italian bread in. We have never removed the garlic, nor have we ever had any issues with it. It's good stuff!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds about right for me, @w_r_ranch .

I am very inclined to marinade meats, Portobello mushrooms too.

My marinades are simple, proportional things. The infusion oil would not really add any complexity, except in flavor :).

Something I should be exploring in using fruit to flavor the oil. That's just a thought ...

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Steve - Just about a month ago I filled a bottle with olive oil and put in some dill flowerettes. The dill was not dried in a dehydrator but were very dry on the plant outside when I cut them off. After about three weeks we discovered an off-color growth on some of the dill twigs. There was also tiny spots of slime in there. We dumped it out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
THANKS @Smiles Jr. ! That was something the author was concerned about and mentioned olive oil and peanut specifically as requiring refrigeration.

USDA Extension says that for the same reason oil should not be used in canning, infused oils should be refrigerated and use in "within 2 to 3 days." (LINK)

I should clarify what I meant by the fruit idea. Dry fruit. This was the year for me to try peach barbeque sauce ... Maybe I can add apricot infused oil to the getting a round toit list.

Steve

Latest posts