Herb Resources

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've decided to grow some more medicinal herbs next year, and I'm looking for a book that includes information on the properties of different herbs, and also how to process them for more than just teas. What can you recommend?

Also, what are the best sources for herb seeds?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey curlykate,
i have a few Herb books that i got as a gift and highly recommend them, i'll tell you the names of the books later. I would definely get a book on herbs before actually starting to buy and plant them etc..
Herbs can be used for more than tea, some herbs can heal for example a fever or sore throat called medicinal herbs. Herbs like basil and parsely are culinary herbs and used in cooking they also contain vitamins etc..
And i believe some herbs are dried and used in floral arrangments etc..

Hope this helps!!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know the basic culinary herbs that I'd like to have, but what are some "essential" medicinal herbs to have in my new herb garden? Also, do herbs like extra nitrogen? I'm trying to decide if I should put some chicken manure on it before winter.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, herbs do better without much fertilizer I think.

A nice book by an actual pharmacologist is The Honest Herbal by Varro Tyler. It's one of the few books that has actual scientific information in it explaining why which herbs work the way they do and is very readable. Most other books I've seen on the subject seem to spend a lot more time on pretty pictures than on what is actually useful. There are some others on my shelf, it depends on what you think you will need herbs for.

I personally grow the following: pennyroyal, blue cohosh, uva ursi, echinacea, Queen Anne's Lace, apothecary rose, St John's wort, bunch of culinary herbs, catnip, bunch of tea herbs, lavender, scented geraniums (make awesome soap fragrances), fleabane daisies. I don't do anything special for them, other than occasionally water them or move them into sunnier locations. I don't usually buy herb seeds, I buy plants from the annual garden show or from companionplants.com.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I know the basic culinary herbs that I'd like to have, but what are some "essential" medicinal herbs to have in my new herb garden? Also, do herbs like extra nitrogen? I'm trying to decide if I should put some chicken manure on it before winter.
No,no,no!

Herbs in general thrive in poor soil that provides excellent drainage.

Do not pamper herbs, but show them tough love.

Most of our most popular herbs are native to Mediterranean regions (think Rosemary, Oregano, Sages, etc.) That really do better in poor sandy, gravelly soil.

Two of my favorite books that deal with herbs are:

HERBS: Gardens, Decorations and Recipes by Emelie Tolley and Chris Mead

and

Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit, An Illustrated Encyclopedia by Matthew Biggs

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
For a seed source, I'd recommend Richter's. They have just about everything.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There are some magazines that you can subscribe to that is all about herbs.
I have one that is just title herbs. The whole thing is about all things herbs, describes them and how to grow and use them.
I would google it and see what you come up with. There are things you can sign up for right online.

Latest posts