Herb seeds.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted hyssop, horehound and bergomot from seed 7 days ago along with 3 types of basil. All my basil is coming up but nothing from the first three - I'm a little worried that I may have planted the tiny seeds too deep. Everything in my herb and veggie garden is growing so slow and not looking that great. :(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
How deep did you plant them? Some seeds take a long time to sprout. If nothing comes up in another week, you could just drop a few seeds on the soil surface then water in.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I'm not really sure how deep - the seeds are so tiny so I just sprinkled some soil over them. I think I will plant just a few more on top of the soil and see what happens.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't wait to meet a gardener that has a little patience!! Hang in there!

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hyssop takes forever to germinate. Well maybe not forever, but at least 14 days. ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with those three, but some seeds, especially tiny ones, need light to germinate. I think just sprinkling seeds on top and gently firming the soil would be a good bet with truly tiny seeds.

Patience helps too, but it is sometimes hard to know when to use patience and when it is time to reboot.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
so lucky said:
How deep did you plant them? Some seeds take a long time to sprout. If nothing comes up in another week, you could just drop a few seeds on the soil surface then water in.
Too true. I planted sweet peas along the same fence (other side) as my sugar-snap peas and I waited until 2 weeks to determine that some weren't gonna sprout. I'm really bad about storing my seeds and throwing away the packages so I can forget their germination times. Also, I get all sorts of volunteers. This same bed has 3 potatoes sprouting from ones I planted in 2010 and forgot about. Give it some more time. OR...replant. :bee patient. :D

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just planted chammomil and my son thought I was sprinkling ash on the soil. Those are super tiny too! Why do herb seeds have to be so tiny?!?!