Herb Table?

Herbian

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does anyone here use an herb table for growing herbs? I am interested in building one and just wondering if any of you have one/like it/built it yourself.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The best herb garden I've ever seen was a 4 ft. tall rectangle planted with herbs and flowers. It was on wheels and as lush a planter as imaginable.

Picture a gunny sack filled with soil and having slits along the sides for planting herbs. This was much like what he had.

First he built an open frame of 2x2 and 2x4s. Then he put chicken wire inside the frame. Added black plastic and filled the plastic with soil -- leaving a 3 inch irrigation pipe in the center for watering.

That done, he cut out a planting space in the wire and slit in the plastic for a rooted herb or flower. Some plants grew down, but most grew up, covering the frame and providing fresh herbs whenever he wanted.

I am hoping for something much like that here eventually. Especially since I could probably overwinter it in our heated wood shop and keep it growing through most of the year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I was struggling to picture what you were describing, I kept trying to fit it into the context of a table...but do you mean this was a vertical garden? Along the lines of what people do with pallets?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I was struggling to picture what you were describing, I kept trying to fit it into the context of a table...but do you mean this was a vertical garden? Along the lines of what people do with pallets?

Yes, it was a vertical garden about 30 inches x 30 inches square x 4 feet tall on wheels.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish this gardener would come back to TEG. She didn't set this up as an herb garden. She was struggling with an arid climate and cool overnight temperatures - not too much different from here.

But anyway, I thought this was kind of cute and could easily have been on wheels. It was probably not quite right for tomato plants, however.

6256_dsc01581.jpg

Steve :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is an interesting site for herb tables. Even shows a couple of vertical ones -- one with vertical slats with black plastic that reminded me a bit of the vertical one I saw. These are amazing vertical herb gardens -- too big for my garden, but full of ideas. The herb garden beds here are more adaptable to a small garden, but still breathtaking.

Herbian

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the replies! I was going to do a pot garden - but with all the herbs I wanted to plant it got pretty expensive. I have lots of scrap boards/wire around that I can use.

Herbian

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh, one more question. How big of a space/pot do herbs need?