Herbs and Greenhouses

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I bought a greenhouse kit about 6-7 years ago and my DH FINALLY got around to putting it together for me this year lol. It is 6x8 double polycarbonate panels with a sliding door and a window. Anyway, I am excited about it and I am wanting to plant an indoor container garden in it this fall and hopefully over winter some crops. I have a list of veggies but I was wondering if herbs do good too? I have cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, and majoram and lavender. Any ideas if these will work or have any ideas of ones I don't have that would work too?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The rosemary and thyme will most likely do well. They overwinter here in CO with no problem. I can even harvest a little.

The basil and cilantro will need a little more care. I bring my basil inside and put a light on it :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
SonjaB, I keep rosemary plants on the floor of an unheated greenhouse thru the winter. Also, a lemon verbena stays in that mix. They are covered with a quilt when outdoor temperatures go below 15F so, you can imagine, there are days as well as nights when they don't come out from under the quilt.

I've only tried to heat my greenhouse thru one winter. It was not the best experience in that it was very cold, the door froze shut, there was about a week when I couldn't get in even with the heater running merrily inside :rolleyes:.

I didn't have any supplemental lighting at that time and that was important but you should have more sunlight in your location, at least. These days, I just "fire up" the gh furnace about the 1st of March.

Anyway, you may have mildew problems with your herbs and you should be prepared to spray them. That's the only drawback that I can think of for your choices. They should not require a lot of heat.

Steve

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I would have never thought about using a quilt to cover them with. Not a bad idea.